How to print without a color cartridge(Canon Pixma)?

Thread: How to print without a color cartridge(Canon Pixma)?

Hybrid View

Unhappy How to print without a color cartridge(Canon Pixma)?

I have a Canon Pixma MP210. So, I always print in black & white b/c I just print out documents. I've had an old, empty color ink cartridge sitting in there, though. Today I took the empty black cartridge out to recycle at Staples, as I was going to buy a new one. I got the bright idea to also take out the empty color cartridge, so that I could get that recycling credit, too. Well, now it will not print without a color cartridge, even an empty one, installed. It says: "The following ink cartridge cannot be recognized. Printing cannot be executed b/c the ink cartridge may not be propertly installed, blah blah blah." Is there any way to bypass this??? I don't want to have to buy a new color cartridge, as I won't even use it! Help, please.

Ink is used to cool the print head so printing without a cartridge may damage the printer. Most printers will not work with a missing cartridge. I'm not aware of an override for this printer. The cheapest solution may be purchase of a 3rd party cartridge.

Have you considered buying a laser? They start under $100 and cost per page is usually much less than b&w on an inkjet.

dordee--See if Staples can help. Maybe they will sell the old color cartridge back to you or suggest how to fix the problem.
    Customer reviews confirm your discovery,
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Pixma-In...R1VJR4QD6P7L2W
    but do not provide a solution.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

My HP's have never printed w/o a 2nd, even if empty, cartridge.

Fat chance of getting help from Staples. If there's a Cartridge World near you, buy each refilled cartridge for half-price. Next best bet is 3rd-party refurbs.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

I agree with Jerry, if you have to buy new colour cartridge, you can buy whole new laser printer for not very much more, and you'll get the money back in no time on what you save on printing costs. And you get much better results too, for text pages
    Nick.

Thread Information