Fax service

Thread: Fax service

Fax service

Could someone please explain\clarify for me the “Fax” service that apparently is already loaded onto my Dell 3000 pc (with XP)? I have never used it; would like to try it now.

1. Is this service really a substitute for my old, bulky analog fax machine?
    2. Will I <really> be able to scrap that relic and still be able to send handwritten notes and pictures, even without an attached scanner? I don’t see how.
    3. Same for receiving faxes sent from conventional fax machines?

What I have read in the Dell setup material is iffy, some things there suggest I <have to have> an attached “fax printer (?)”, whatever that is.

Thanks for your help.

I assume you have the FAX software that is part of Windows XP. Here are instructions for its use:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...october21.mspx

You must have a dial-up modem.

You will need a scanner to capture "handwritten notes and pictures" and any other hard copy originals.

Received FAXes can be viewed on your monitor but you will need a printer for hard copy. Consider a laser printer if you receive lots of FAXes.

Of course, your computer must be turned on to receive a FAX. Could be a problem if people send FAXes to you without prior warning.

Jerryctx: Many thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll stick with a stand-alone fax machine; don't see much advantage to the pc Fax Service.

I've tried the XP one a few time over the years, and couldn't get it to work. I think it came out originally when fax machines were more expensive, and also it takes up less space.

I used to use the Fax service without any problems (I never had a separate fax machine). As Jerry says, you need to have a fax modem though, as well as a scanner.
    Nick.

I've been faxing from my PC for years. I used the software that came with the fax modem... from a company called BVRP fax tools.. much better than Windows XP fax esp since it can receive faxes as well instead of only sending.

Norton Winfax is good too but expensive... it has many options including sending more than one page to a single fax number... something many fax software programs can't/won't do.. you have to redial the number for each page. The trick here is to join all the pages in a single document like an MSoffice doc and send that as one single fax.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

WinFax was the best consumer fax program. Unfortunately, Symantec discontinued it, probably because they no longer wanted to handle the tech support questions for it. You might still be able to find a copy somewhere. I have yet to see a replacement fax program that even comes close to WinFax.
    Last edited by jdc2000; May 25th, 2010 at 03:49 PM.

Didn't know they discontinued it.. too bad.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Wikipedia: WinFax
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winfax
    WinFax (also known as WinFax PRO) ... was created by developer Tony Davis at Delrina in 1990.

Delrina was sold to Symantec in July 1995, and the acquisition was finalized in November of 1995.

Symantec discontinued sales and support of WinFax PRO on June 30, 2006.

Thanks for the additional info.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparks View Post
    I used to use the Fax service without any problems (I never had a separate fax machine). As Jerry says, you need to have a fax modem though, as well as a scanner.
    I tried the one in Win XP as recently as 2 years ago after a workshop and demo at my PC users' group, but gave up. I have very little need for it.

More useless info, wdc, but recording this for posterity, re: the XP fax--If the receiving person is not home for printing, the printer and the FAX program must be on, and the program must be set to receive. And yes, it is capable of sending and receiving, just not for us gray longhairs. I hear tiger cats in England do better.
    Last edited by foxy; May 28th, 2010 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    WinFax was the best consumer fax program. Unfortunately, Symantec discontinued it, probably because they no longer wanted to handle the tech support questions for it. You might still be able to find a copy somewhere. I have yet to see a replacement fax program that even comes close to WinFax.
    Compat w XP? I'm searching for it now. Nothing at oldapps.com or oldversion.com

It was always commercial software, so you are unlikely to find at those 2 sites. Symantec would be on their case pretty quickly. There were a few issues with XP, but it does work with XP.

Link:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CBgQ8wIwAg#

Not pricey, considering the price and desk space, which I don't have, needed by a fax machine. Their Winfax page is blank, probably 4 years old. :
    http://trinitysoftwaredistribution.c...tecwinfax.aspx Might be an old page from 2006.
    Ebay next.

Thread Information