[RESOLVED] GfxUI stopped working (upon startup)

Thread: [RESOLVED] GfxUI stopped working (upon startup)

Resolved [RESOLVED] GfxUI stopped working (upon startup)

Hi All,

Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1750 running Win 7 (64 bit).

Upon startup, we continue to get the popup saying we need to install .NET 2.0 Framework. We also get a popup that says "GfxUI stopped working".

For the .NET 2.0, I used the fx cleanup tool and removed .NET Framework 2.0. I installed 1.1 and then 2.0 however I could not install 3.0 successfully.

Still getting the popup. It's not hurting anything - just annoying.

For the GfxUI message, I went to Intel and they scanned the system and suggested a new graphics driver which I downloaded.

Still getting the popup.

I have to say that I am not fond of Windows 7. My desktop has XP Pro and I've never had problems like this. We've spent almost all day working on these issues with no success and it's really discouraging.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for us to try?

Thank you so much,
    N&T

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    On the graphics driver, did you uninstall the old one first before installing the new one? You should. As for .net framework, you only need to install one version. Version 4 is out now also.

.net framework 4

Hi PhotoLady,

Yes I went to the device and selected the driver tab then clicked uninstall driver then I installed the new driver.

Thanks,
    Nancy

Did you reboot after uninstalling the old driver and after you installed the new one?

Btw, I wouldn't have used device manager to uninstall the old driver, I would have used control panel, uninstall a program. I've had problems uninstalling drivers the way you did. They weren't completely removed.

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post

As for .net framework, you only need to install one version.
    The various versions of .NET aren't really "upgrades". Some programs that work on .Net 1.1 or 2.0 won't run on 3.0. And, .Net 3.5 depends on 2.0.

I usually recommend against removing 1.1 for compatibility reasons. Microsoft's .Net developers did a pretty good job making 2.0 backward-compatible, but it is not 100%. An application written for and tested on 1.1 may not work on 2.0.

Thanks for that Doc. I was told I could remove all but the one I intended to install. Now I know different.

Thanks all.
    Photolady - I didn't know that (not to remove the driver via device manager) - thanks for that tip.

Yes, I rebooted after the install of the new driver.

Could this issue be due to the fact that his Dell originally came with Windows Vista installed and then they shipped a free Windows 7 upgrade CD about a month later?

Thanks,
    Nancy

Family Tree Maker requires theses.

Here are the web site addresses to download the Microsoft .net framework:
    Microsoft .net framework 1.1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Microsoft .net framework 2.0: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Microsoft .net framework 3.0: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Microsoft .net framework 3.5: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    Microsoft WSE 3.0 runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

And the .net fx cleanup tool that you can download from the following web site: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4...4e75f6e8ebb871

So, yes I have them all installed.

Windows 7 will come with .NET Framework 3.5 installed by default. You can upgrade to version 4, and that will do for the vast majority of apps. It is possible that some older apps may require Framework 1.1 in which case you can install that as well. It is highly unlikely that you would need any other version in Win7.
    Nick.

PROBLEM FINALLY SOLVED! Here's what the issue was. When we ordered the Dell laptop, we also received a Dell printer (wireless). Everything was installed and working fine and then we received our automatic Windows 7 upgrade. That's when the problem with the 2 pop-ups started (.NET framework/GfxUI).

In the wee hours of October 20th, I woke up disgusted about this issue so I searched again for a resolution to this on Dell's site. Found it! They said to uninstall Dell Printers and then download the the Win 7 drivers/sw for the printer. I found the download and saved it to the desktop. I uninstalled Dell printers and rebooted. No pop-up upon restart - YAY (so I thought). I executed the printer sw and saw the dreaded pop-up again. I was really irritated so I started a "chat" session with the Dell rep. He went through all the steps I had just taken and saw the problem as well.

Long story short, here the resolution to the problem:

Start ==> Run ==>type 'msconfig'
    Go to Startup tab
    UNCHECK 3 things: dldtmon.exe, dldtmon and DataSafeOnline

Reboot.

PROBLEM SOLVED. The dld* files relate to the Dell V305 printer. The Dell rep also said that DataSafeOnline was an issue as well.

No more pop-ups....how long had that been going on??? Persistence pays off!

Thread Information