Firewall problems in Win7 - Want to remove Comodo

Thread: Firewall problems in Win7 - Want to remove Comodo

Firewall problems in Win7 - Want to remove Comodo

I recently installed the freeware firewall of Comodo in my Win7 PC. However I am not too happy because of some problems and would like to remove Comodo and simply use the firewall that came with Win7 (I am using the Home Edition of Win7).

I had a hitch that probably both firewalls are somehow enabled on my Win7 PC. I went into Control Panel and turned off the bult-in Firewall of Win7 but it now show the message (or maybe the icon) that firewall is not present (EVEN though I already have COMODO installed). So that's the first question/confusion I am facing.

The 2nd question is that how do I uninstall COMODO in a very clean manner. I remember froma long time back when I tried to remove Norton Anti-Virus and it simply refused to un-install. Will I face a similar problem when trying to
    remove Comodo.

Last but not least, will be very thankful if you can share tips regarding what settings I need to put in place for the Windows Firewall to work effectively. Based on what I have read, the default configuration of Win7's firewall has a lot of room for improvement and I would like it to be as secure as my favourite firewall (which I use on XP) i.e. Sygate.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

morland,

You might try this Comodo Uninstall.zip. I've not tried to uninstall the firewall yet, as I've never had a reason to, so I can't vouch for how well this would work. I got it from their forums.

Note that I would also recommend using some type of cleaner program afterwards to make sure all the bits are gone. I use CCleaner since it's safe and easy to use. But be aware, as with any registry altering procedure, you should back up the registry first (CCleaner does this by default) and proceed with caution.

Paul
    ....my get-up-and-go musta got up and went....

Just remove Comodo in Programs and Features, the chances are it will uninstall just fine. Only use a Registry Cleaner as an absolute desperation measure, I have seen more problems caused by their use than anything else, often resulting in unbootable PCs. Even if an odd Registry entry is left it won't do any harm.
    Nick.

Sparks,

The problem is there is NO listing for Comodo in Programs and Features, at least not on my system. It seems others have reported this issue as well judging by some of the posts at their forums.

There seems to be no "automatic" way to safely uninstall the program. There are several tutorials for the manual removal of registry entries, but with limited success it appears. By all reports, it's a tough bugger to get rid of .

Paul
    ....my get-up-and-go musta got up and went....

Use System Restore to roll back you system to a date before you installed Comodo?

Thank you everyone for your help and replies. For sure and regardless of the superb reviews of Comodo, I AM going to uninstall it. Also thanks ups4 for the link for the removing utility. I'll use either than or Revo uninstaller which comes recommended by many...

However I REALLY need some help prior to doing that. This is related to the original question asked in my post:

I just wanted to make sure that I do not have both firewalls (the Win7's built-in firewall AND Comodo) running on my Win7 PC. So this is what is did (please recall that I have Win7 Home Edition):

1. Went into control panel and then clicked on System & Security
    2. Clicked on Windows Firewall
    3. From the resulting panel on the left side clicked the option labeled "Turn Windows Firewall on or off"
    4. At this stage I was presented with stuff shown in the attached images.

Now I am not sure if I correctly disabled the Windows firewall or if it's still running in parallel to Comodo can you kindly guide after looking at the attached images. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would say that it's still running. To be sure of disabling it, you should turn it off in both the Home network and Public sections, you don't have to choose between them.
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparks View Post
    I would say that it's still running. To be sure of disabling it, you should turn it off in both the Home network and Public sections, you don't have to choose between them.
    Had a gut feeling about that and appreciate your confirmation.

Regards.

Thread Information