[RESOLVED] auto detect hang
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] auto detect hang

Resolved [RESOLVED] auto detect hang

computer's been acting up latley , freezing , crashing the odd blue screen of death hard drives an old maxtor ..... so i figured time to replace it before i lost all my files ...... went out and bought a new ide segate 160 gig.

tried to install windows xp but on boot would hang for about 3 or 4 minutes auto detecting primary master .... then id the hard drive , booted from the cdrom .... windows installed ok but on reboot again same hang and back to the checking hardware and started to install windows again. kept going into the same loop.

tried with all the various jumper settings on the hard drive , no luck. went into bios tried the failsafe default setting , and optomised ..... same thing.

i have 2 or 3 old hard drives ..... no problem detecting and installing windows on those. other thing is it will not detect a new 500 gig sata hard drive ( segate ) either.

if i install the ide and sata segate hard drive as a slave .... no problem , just will not detect and work properly as a master.

i'm far from a computer junkie , but have put a few systems together before i'm on my 4'th self built system but never ran into this problem before.

any ideas guys -n - gals , thanks in advance.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name AMD6600
    System Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
    System Model MS-7376
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~3000 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.10, 3/19/2010
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    User Name AMD6600\Henry
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.39 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 3.85 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I would suspect that the PC is actually crashing while shutting down between setup phases. You need to look into hardware problems like leaking capacitors, failed system or video card fans, dust buildup, weak or failing power supply, etc.

Start here:

www.badcaps.net

Honestly, a motherboard of the vintage that you own is not likely to have bad caps, but it's worth a look.

thanks for your reply it's appreciated ..... i would go along with thay possability if not for the fact that any of my old hard drives have no problem being detected .... i for got to mention in my original post this all started happening after my son got a couple nastys from facebook , the reason i decided to reinstall windows and upgrade to a larger newer primary master hard drive

have an old 320 gig seagate i use as a back up for some programs , had no problem detecting .... i used for storage..... last year .... it detected rite away ..... and a samsung same thing had it as a storage in there last year and it detected rite away

i used my origional maxtor , deleted the partition , done a chkdsk ..... didn't find any errors or bad sectors , installed windows no problems and it's up an running now , it just seems like my computer doesn't like or recognise anything new .... just stuff it's seen before.

i do regular clean up and maintenance ( dust removal ) learned that one long ago.

Have you tried a new IDE cable? I would. I would set all drives to Cable Select and put the primary drive on the end of the cable.

During the install and it wants to reboot and you see "Press any key to boot off the cd rom" -> DO NOT PRESS ANY KEY

It will auto continue by itself. Pressing any key starts the process over.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Good point. It's actually best to eject the CD until setup resumes.

I know that it's hard to see in the original post, but his primary problem is that the BIOS is having trouble picking up his IDE drives during POST.

Surfacerider, it's really best to use proper uppercase and lowercase letters as well as punctuation here. While I know that modern chat does away with these formalities, it's much easier to read posts here and in other forums when they are done properly.

Ok thank's for all the input , it is really appreciated , and I will watch my P's and Q's.

During my adventure here , I disconnected everything , except for my cdrom that by the way is sata.

All together I have 9 differant hard drives both ide and sata , some good and some with bad sectors. I tried each one seperatly , no problem detecting them.

During the process of installing the hard drives I did turn off the power switch on the power supply each and every time.

First attempt the seagate ide , not sure of the proper terminology here but the bios started normaly and when it came to detect the primary hard drive it stopped when the autodetect primary message showed on the screen.

When your waiting it seems like forever , but my best guess would be about 3-4 minutes then it detected the hard drive , then continured through the bios setup.

When it came time for the message press anykey to boot from the cdrom , that option did not happen , it went straight to the detecting hardware and installing windows. After all the files transfered and it came to the first reboot and started the same process all over again. Detecting primary hard drive .... pause for the same 3-4 minutes , detected the hard drive , no press any key to boot from the cdrom message and straight back to inspecting hardware.

Tried each and every jumper setting as shown on the ide hard drive , but it will only detect and work as a slave.

If i did not do anything at this point it would continue this loop forever.

Next , tried my new seagate sata drive. Would not even try to detect it , found the cdrom then came to the screen that said no hard disk found.

Another thing i tried was to remove all my ram ( 3 , 1 gig sticks of kingston ddr2/800 and tried them one stick at a time thinking maybe i had some bad ram. Made no differance.

Each and everyone of my old hard drives , no problem , that is what is confusing me.

Thanks

You are not being prompted to boot from CD. It's happening automatically. You must eject the CD each time the PC restarts so that it doesn't begin setup again. Put the CD back in only when prompted.

Replace the IDE cable please. Set each drive to cable select. Put the primary drive on the cable end. That should fix the delay.

The SATA drive is probably not being detected because you haven't loaded the drivers for it. You probably have to download the SATA drivers from the motherboard website and load them during setup by pressing F6 when setup begins. Watch the screen for "Press F6 to load third-party storage drivers". That's what you need to do to load SATA drivers for XP.

BTW, you need a floppy disk and a floppy drive to load the storage drivers for XP.

Pulled all the hard drives out of the computer and replaced the cable with a new one.

Only thing besides what's needed to run is my sata dvdrom and the seagate hard drive.

Same hang for about 3-4 minutes autodetecting primary master ... ten detected the ide hard drive and dvdrom , proceeded to install windows

First restart changed the boot sequence to the hard drive , removed the XP cd and still the hanging autodetecting the primary master finished installing windows.

After windows installed and it rebooted same thing ..... hung for the same 3 - 4 minutes then came up to the desktop.

The first thing i noticed is it was back to the speed it was when i first put it together , 6 or 7 times faster than the old maxtor before i decided to get a new hard drive.

Tried restarting it again 4 or 5 times after that and the same thing , it hangs or takes about 3 or 4 minutes to detect the primary master every time. But once it loads up it works good.

next pay I"m going to pick up a new mother board. Do you think it may be a bad , corrupted or faulty bios.

Thanks again everyone , really apreciated your help. After i get the new mother board , i'll let you know how things go if your interested.

surfacerider

update ....

Not sure if this matters or is the root cause , but after updating the bios ( did it in windows mode a few times ) with msi's live update , but i noticed after the last bios update after it finished the flash and restarted , I got a check sum error , some red text warning about damaging bios settings , then press F2 to resume or Del to enter set up.

F2 or del brings me to the bios screen. I will mention with my last 2 msi boards I have done bios updates in windows mode with no problems , only this last update.

The old maxtor hard drive boots normal but runs so slow it's almost un useable. The new seagate still hangs on the autodetect but runs normal.

I will be filing this board as a spare part next weekend and picking up a Gigabyte board this time ( only because it seems to have the the configurations I want at least untill I can afford a whole new msi system ) so for all intense puropses you can mark this resolved.

But I would appreciate for future referance and possably someone else here any thoughts you have for the bios causing this problem.

Thanks again for all your help it's much appreciated.

surf

Although this won't fix the hang, you should clear CMOS after any BIOS update. To do that, simply unplug the unit and remove the motherboard battery for a few seconds. You can also do this the official way by using the BIOS Clear jumper if you like.

Once clear, go into BIOS, check CPU settings and exit with F10 to save settings.
    MS MCP, MCSE, and old fool...

the latest up date ....

ok figured I was going to have to put up with going for a coffee when ever I rebooted my computer , so i put everything back in ( dvd on sata , new seagate primary master ide , samsung ide slave , 3 various sata hard drives ) and bingo ..... booted up normal and ran fine.

So now I"m scratching my head what's up with that , so Ii played around a while with a few old ide drives i have laying around and found as long as the new seagate ide has an ide slave behind it it boots fine.

I'm still going to pick up a new motherboard next weekend ( the one i have now is pretty well maxed out for what I use it for ) so it will be interesting to see what happens with that.

Have you replaced the cable?
    MS MCP, MCSE, and old fool...

Yes sir .... replaced them all while I was in there. Mentioned that in my May 5 reply. Just didn't mention I replaced them all while i was in there.

Over the past few days of playing around, I notice it only hangs detecting primary master with out a slave plugged in

Thread Information