Need help undestand the types of processors

Thread: Need help undestand the types of processors

Need help undestand the types of processors

I was big into computer hardware back in the late 80's and into the early 90's. But it was easy back then to decide which one to buy. It was either AMD or Intel, and today it's still the same but them came diffrent version of the chips. Like now, AMD has 3 types to choose from Phenom™ II, Athlon™ II, Sempron™, but what really seperates these three? And why not just have a flagship chip? Back then it was just one from each company, and now there are several chips to choose. How does a buy really choose and compair?
    Will update soon

Decide on the number of cores required/desired than narrow selections further by budget.
    Their flagship home/consumer processor would be the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition.
    Question would be, would one make use of six cores processor...
    Cheers.

Everyone wants more for their money, so why would they are from how many cores? Why not start with FSB, and stuff like that?

Back in the day it was base on 286, then 386, then 486.
    Will update soon

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkertron View Post
    Everyone wants more for their money, so why would they are from how many cores? ...
    Existing thread,
    Cheers.

Tom's Hardware > Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart
    2:00 AM - January 19, 2010 by Don Woligroski
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pu,2520-7.html

I don't want more for my money. I have 2 classifications of computer speed and internet speed: fast enough for what I do, and not fast enough. Most computer have far too much for what I need, and that's been true all along.

--HD's are 250 GB-1 TB, but I still fill only 12-14 GB. I'm not going to start downloading movies just because the HD's are huge, if it didn't interest me before.
    --Win XP doesn't see more than 3 GB RAM. I can load the comp with RAM, but won't be using it.
    --A quad-core CPU would be wasted if you don't need the speed, or if the time saved is not worth your money. So you might look at your needs + your budget, although the articles mention only needs. But needs and wants are also 2 different things. That's a story for another time.

Here is a good performance chart for current CPUs:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts...hmarks,60.html

What I have found over the years is that as the hardware has got more powerful it has enabled me to do stuff that I couldn't do before. Virtualisation is a good case in point, nowadays I can run multiple virtual machines at the same time and have the best of both Windows and Linux worlds
    Nick.

I was referring to the way I operate. I don't do more just because machines are more powerful, maybe with the exception of watching videos, and downloading pictures and programs faster. I presume you're either in the IT world or retired from it, Sparks. I know you're far geekier than me, either way.

My point was that it depends on how Tinkertron lives and works that would determine whether he needs bigger, better, faster.

General Rule (waiting to be proven wrong)--Unless you have a specific need (and/or lots of money) get the processor one or two levels below the "flagship".
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

You guys are too much. No one asked the OP if he games, overclocks, or has been hit by the recession. Or if he just does does email and internet. Or if he can throw his computer out when he's no longer 2 levels below the new flagship, presuming the flagship changes every few months.

Because that's not what the OP was asking. He wants to know how to go about sorting out the different processor families.
    Nick.

Thread Information