WiFi Roaming

Thread: WiFi Roaming

WiFi Roaming

I have just added a wireless signal repeater (ASUS WL-330GE) to boost the WiFi signal coming out of a wireless router. How do I configure my laptop to automatic pickup and switch to the strongest signal when i move around the house? As of now, I can see the 2 "hotpots" with the same SSID. I can tell which one is the wireless router and which one is the Repeater by the MAC addresses. I can switch manually by turning off the wireless adapter on the laptop and turning it back on again and it will pickup the stronger signal of the two. But how can i make the laptop to do it automatically?
    Last edited by BlackBeanie; April 25th, 2010 at 05:19 PM.

It would help if you specified what wifi adapter you have.

Go into device manager and check the wifi adapter settings. There is usually a setting for "roaming aggressiveness" or "roaming sensitivity".

It's a Dell laptop. Device Manager lists internal wifi card as "Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-card" and the manufacturer is Broadcom.

There is the "Roam Tendency" and the "Roaming Decision" settings. Under "Roam Tendency", it has "Moderate". "Aggressive" and "Conservative". It's on "Moderate" now. Under "Roaming Decision", it has "Default", "Optimize Distance" and "Optimize Bandwidth". It's on "Default" now.
    Last edited by BlackBeanie; April 25th, 2010 at 06:02 PM.

I would try changing only one setting at a time. Start with the Roam Tendency.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8/en/props.htm

Roaming Decision

The signal strength value that determines when the Dell Wireless WLAN Card starts scanning for other APs.

Default (default). −75 dB

Optimize Bandwidth. −65 dB

Optimize Distance. −85 dB

Roam Tendency

This property adjusts the roaming thresholds for the Dell Wireless WLAN Card.

Moderate (default). Roams to APs having a signal strength at least 20 dB greater than the current access point.

Aggressive. Roams to APs having a signal strength at least 10 dB greater than the current access point.

Conservative. Roams to APs having a signal strength at least 30 dB greater than the current access point.

Thank you for your help ... I didn't know these settings existed.

Thread Information