I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate over my previous Vista Home Premium. I got a hardware compatibility warning before the install stating that a known issue with the MS Intellipoint software was detected.

This is the software that makes my (then) MS IntelliMouse Explorer fully functional with all the bells and whistles. The mouse works, but with basic functionality.

I researched the error code (1603) and determined that this was an "installation error"....duh. Researching this, I found several similar instances regarding this error, but none had any real resolution. I have since downloaded the Win 7 Intellipoint software from the MS site and get the same error code...and the installation is aborted.

I found several things to try in order to get the software to install.

1. Delete all temp files (%temp%).
2. Reinstall the latest MS .NET Framework
3. Install and run Windows Installer Cleanup to remove any old Intellipoint files. (None were found)
4. Checked to make sure Windows Installer Service was set to Auto and started....it was.
5. Tried the install using a "clean startup".

The only thing that was suggested that I didn't try was to uninstall Windows Installer and reinstall the latest version. I couldn't find it anywhere on my system. This in and of itself may be part of the problem?

None of the above ideas worked. I always got the "Incompatibility Notice" and error code 1603.

I have since purchased a new mouse, thinking if it said it was Windows 7 Certified, all would be good. NOPE....same problem when trying to install the software. The new mouse is a MS Natural Laser Mouse 6000.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Paul