[RESOLVED] Intellipoint Software Incompatible With Win 7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Intellipoint Software Incompatible With Win 7

Resolved [RESOLVED] Intellipoint Software Incompatible With Win 7

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate over my previous Vista Home Premium. I got a hardware compatibility warning before the install stating that a known issue with the MS Intellipoint software was detected.

This is the software that makes my (then) MS IntelliMouse Explorer fully functional with all the bells and whistles. The mouse works, but with basic functionality.

I researched the error code (1603) and determined that this was an "installation error"....duh. Researching this, I found several similar instances regarding this error, but none had any real resolution. I have since downloaded the Win 7 Intellipoint software from the MS site and get the same error code...and the installation is aborted.

I found several things to try in order to get the software to install.

1. Delete all temp files (%temp%).
    2. Reinstall the latest MS .NET Framework
    3. Install and run Windows Installer Cleanup to remove any old Intellipoint files. (None were found)
    4. Checked to make sure Windows Installer Service was set to Auto and started....it was.
    5. Tried the install using a "clean startup".

The only thing that was suggested that I didn't try was to uninstall Windows Installer and reinstall the latest version. I couldn't find it anywhere on my system. This in and of itself may be part of the problem?

None of the above ideas worked. I always got the "Incompatibility Notice" and error code 1603.

I have since purchased a new mouse, thinking if it said it was Windows 7 Certified, all would be good. NOPE....same problem when trying to install the software. The new mouse is a MS Natural Laser Mouse 6000.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Paul
    ....my get-up-and-go musta got up and went....

Oh yeah, I forgot to add....I did call MS support to try and get a resolution.

Once connected to their tech support in New Delhi, and after 2 hours of trying to understand the guy, and going through the exact same troubleshooting procedures that I listed above, nothing was resolved.

It has been escalated for further troubleshooting and I might hear back from them...maybe...sometime .

Paul

ups4--I have an Intellipoint Mouse and Keyboard installed on my Win7 64 bit PC. They work fine. I used the CD installation disks that came with them. Did you?
    What models mouse and keyboard were causing the problem?
    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953691
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...px?category=MK
    Last edited by Welshjim; April 22nd, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Hi Jim.

This mouse I had installed when I did the upgrade was a MS Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0. I wasn't surprised to see it was incompatible, since it's a fairly old mouse. I now have the MS Natural Wireless Laser 6000. The keyboard is not an issue.

Not sure if my 32-bit version of Windows 7 would make a difference or not.
    I'm wondering if something didn't carry over during the upgrade. I've been getting all kinds of "you need permission from System" notices when I try to do things like, delete the old Intellipoint software folder.
    I've gotten other elevated permission notices too....can't remember what I was doing, but it was something that I had been able to do before with Vista.

I am the only user of the machine, so unless the Windows 7 install changed some permissions, I should have full Admin. rights.

The link you gave me is the exact link I was given at the MS Answers site, and those are the exact procedures I followed, and got no joy. But thanks for that anyway.

It's got to be some service or other important system file that is wrong. It's just too new to me to go mucking around in it without knowledgeable help....just yet .

Paul

Edit: The download from the MS driver site is newer than the installation disk that came with the mouse. I've tried to use both, and gotten the same results.
    Last edited by ups4; April 22nd, 2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Additional Info

This is the reason why we always recommend a clean install over an upgrade. I've never known any upgrade that didn't cause a problem somewhere or other. You could try running the System File Checker. Go to Start and type "cmd" without the quotes, then right-click cmd.exe and choose "Run as Administrator". Once at the Command Prompt, type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. You may need your Win 7 disc, though most of the time you don't.
    Nick.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=244347

Quote Originally Posted by Desertfox View Post
    I have contacted MS Support and got eventually to the Easy Assist Team. They saw what happens when installing the 7.1. version. Their explanation was since the upgrade from VISTA to W 7 may have caused something not to function properly although all SW on my laptop works fine. The guy added that I am not the only having this problem and MS is aware of it. There will be a solution at some time in the form of an update or a new mouse driver version in the future. At this point there is no solution or work around avaialble.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    I have contacted MS Support and got eventually to the Easy Assist Team. They saw what happens when installing the 7.1. version. Their explanation was since the upgrade from VISTA to W 7 may have caused something not to function properly although all SW on my laptop works fine. The guy added that I am not the only having this problem and MS is aware of it. There will be a solution at some time in the form of an update or a new mouse driver version in the future. At this point there is no solution or work around avaialble.
    Just lovely. Thanks Microsoft .

Paul

ups4--Not being able to uninstall the old Intellipoint software and drivers may be the problem. You establish permission to access a file/folder (which includes the rights to delete it) as follows.
    Right click on the old Intellipoint folder. Click Properties then the Security tab. On the Security tab click Advanced, then highlight whatever account you are using. Click Change Permissions. You should be able to change the setting in the Permission column to get "Full control" for that account.
    A slightly different procedure is described here
    http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-...-windows-7.htm
    Now you should be able to delete that folder.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thanks Jim.
    I thought I might have tried that already, but who knows at this point .
    Going to give it a shot right now.

Paul

Edit: Jim, I now remember that I did try this and discovered I can add all permissions except "Special Permissions", which is grayed out.
    I'm still not able to delete the folder and get the message "You'll need to provide Administrator permission to delete this folder". When I click continue, I get this message "You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder".
    Last edited by ups4; April 23rd, 2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Just to inform. That same error code 1603 appeared when I tried to install Silverlight 4, even though I completely removed Silverlight 3. At this point I am working with MS Support on the issue withou success so far. It appears to me that something with W7 is not ok. I also cannot accept the upgrade from VISTA to W 7 as an excuse which I told MS. I also told them that I am not going through a Clean install and destroying everything because of a stupid error code 1603 which by the way is not defined. I asked them to escalate the issue (I have now two of this kind!) to a SW development team to come up with a clear definition what error code 1603 contains thereby coming up with a solution. To repeat, many MS W 7 users have this issue now.
    Last edited by Desertfox; April 23rd, 2010 at 04:08 PM.

Something unbelievable happened! The MS support came up with another suggestion (won't go into details). But this did not help either, error 1603 persisted. Last night I did a clean up and deleted some duplicate files. Then I discovered that my MS Office XP did not work because I could not start Word or any other application from their shortcuts but I could start it directly from the folder. I tried a repair and it did not help.. So, I removed MS Office and reinstalled it completely. During the installtion an error came up that it could not find a certain path although after I checked it, the path was available. I the checked the permission on the last folder and found that no administrator permission was there so I added it with full control. That solved that one and the installation went on and finished w/o any hitch. After this I went to MS update to get updates and one of them was Silverlight. Had the updates installed and it was silverlight 3 (at least I had that back). This morning I started the laptop, fiddled around a bit, and thought why not try installing Silverlight 4 again and gues what it installed without a hitch. So did the installation of the mouse driver 7.1. I really cannot say what corrected the problem with 1603. Was is the permissions problem in that one folder? I can't say.

Wow, thanks for that update Desertfox.

This has been my suspicion all along. I have been getting permission errors for several different things lately. I thought I did try and change the permissions for the Intellipoint software, but I may not have been too thorough.

I'll go back and muck around with it again and see what I can come up with.

I got a call back from MS Support last night, but since it came through as "unknown" on my caller ID, I missed it. He did leave a message, but didn't say whether there was a solution or not.

Thanks again for keeping us posted.

Paul

Hey fella's, figured i'd post up in regards to set point, as i'm having the same problems.

Just bought an original Microsoft Sidewinder mouse today, can't install Intellipoint as i have the same error (1603). However, all the buttons on the mouse work accordingly except for the Games folder quick launch and the button infront of the thumb buttons.

Basically posting to say i have the same problems and am eagerly awaiting a solution. This is also the only board i've seen that's actually discussing the issue haha. Cheers fella's, you're doing a service to us all.

Hope a solution comes soon,

Cheers,
    Lachlan.

I still do not know the exact cause that made the installations go ahead. However, I have strong suspicion that through some circum stances the following folder got rid of its administator priviliges: C:\ProgrammData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (C: or any drive on which the OS installed). I checked both folders: Start Menu AND Programs and on both the administrator was gone. I added the Admin. and somehow eveything was working.

Note: the Admin should be added via the Advanced button not the normal one on the Properties box.

I must emphasize: I do not know whether it helped to overcome the 1603 issue but it helped to reinstall MS Office XP.

I had a thought today about another option to try and get this Intellipoint software to install.

Would it be worth a try to download Virtual PC from MS and try the install in XP Mode, or is this not the way it's intended to work? Still knowing very little about how Win 7 works, and even less about Virtual PC, I'm curious whether this would work or not.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Paul

Thread Information