unmountable boot volume

Thread: unmountable boot volume

unmountable boot volume

Hi all im new to this site and i really hope i can get some help here.
    Im not sure if im posting this in the right section so apolages if its not. Ive got a dell inspiron mini notebook and i keep getting a blue screen with the unmountable boot volume message. It was fine one minute switched it off then the next time i switched it on again i get this message, i cant even start up in safe mode.
    Ive search the net to try and find out how to fix this and all i can find is things for laptops of computers which tells you to insert a disk, which i cant do on a note book.

please if anyone can help i would be very grateful thanks

dan...

Posting the exact model of your mini might help. Some have hard drives, and others use SSDs (Solid State Drives). Also, did you get a CD with it? If so, you should probably think about getting a USB CD/DVD drive so you can use it.

hi thanks for your repliy its an inspiron mini 1011 im not sure if it came with a cd im going to find the box and have a look.

You would have had to order an external cd/dvd drive.

Sounds like a bad drive. You should run a hard drive diag. If you don't have an external, you could remove the drive and connect it to another system.

Ive got an external drive already so im gona try and run the disk tomorrow. Will the disk work when the notebook doesnt fully start up.
    Also will i lose all the stuff on the harddrive

thanks for you help peps...

You can either get the manufacturer's diags and burn them to a cd (their ISOs are bootable) OR you can download UBCD from the link in my signature. UBCD has most manufacturer's diags and is bootable. You shouldn't lose data if the drive is good, but I can't promise anything if the drive is bad.

That Mini 10 might have either a regular hard drive (likely) or an SSD, depending on the options selected when it was purchased.

Right ive tryed running the disk using an external drive but it does nothink.
    I run the disk using the same drive on my computer and it works fine.

What else can i do? i really need to fix my notebook

Quote Originally Posted by dan060180 View Post
    Right ive tryed running the disk using an external drive but it does nothink.
    I run the disk using the same drive on my computer and it works fine.

What else can i do? i really need to fix my notebook
    What do you mean? You took the hard drive out of the netbook and connected it to an external USB enclosure?

Do you mean "disc" as in CD? Did you run diagnostics or not? If the drive is bad, you'll have to get a replacement.

ive managed to run the cd and have done the chkdsk thing. it says its found one or more errors on the volume. under that it says

156248916 kilobytes total disk space
    146014860 kilobytes are available

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
    39062229 total allocation units on disk
    36503715 allocation units available on disk

c:\>
    What do i do after this? sorry guys and gals im rubbish at fixing computers

Chkdsk isn't going to do a full hard drive diagnostic. I already told you to either download the manufacturer's diags or UBCD. You didn't say the make/model of the hard drive, so I can't tell you which manufacturer's site to go to.

You need to burn the .iso file as an image to a CD.
    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/faq.html

sorry midknyte i may sound stupid here but im lost with all this my knowledge of computers is very low, im fine with using one but thats it a problem like this is behond me. I thought i coukd fix this using the recovery disk i thought that was what it was for, recovering things.
    Maybe i need to take this to a shop to get fixed. Will i lose all the data thats on my hard drive?
    Thanks for your post midknyte im just crap at this.....

There is a good chance you'll lose data if the drive is bad.

That's why you should always backup your data. Netbooks can be easily damaged, lost or stolen.

Thread Information