[RESOLVED] keyboard re-mapping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] keyboard re-mapping

Resolved [RESOLVED] keyboard re-mapping

I would like to assign strings to certain keys that are seldom if ever used. ie: 5- internet keys and several media control keys. Keyboard is an HP PS2 (keyboard 2k-3). I'm running xp- pro sp2.

Thanks for looking...

Have a look at Keyboard Shortcuts and this one - similar name (Keyboard Shortcut). The first one allows sequential operations to be assigned to a hot key; not sure about the second.
    Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday

mhl: thanks for the heads up I seem to prefer "this one". Appreciate the info...

"Keyboard Shortcuts" is now working for me, but I would much prefer to modify the unused keys on my HP keyboard. I'll research this at HP and post back.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Wow. I now have a ton of information. I'm looking at "Key Tweak" and will post back. The special issue that I have is that my keyboard is an HP PS2 with 5- internet buttons that I would like to remap. I'm would also like to know the current keyboard file in my registry.

Thumbs up

Just to clarify some of my prior posts on this thread. I've attached a jpg of the keyboard & marked the keys I would like to remap. The remapping programs that have been suggested don't address this issue. Any further info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks once again for looking.
    Last edited by newstar; May 19th, 2011 at 10:46 PM.

I suspect that these various remapping utilities only deal with the standard 104 keys which are the same regardless of keyboard model, not these extra ones that you have. My Microsoft keyboard has the same basic 104-key layout as yours (apart from UK vs US), but a totally different bunch of 10 extra non-standard keys.
    Last edited by mhl; January 11th, 2010 at 01:29 PM.
    Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday

It's exactly what I'm looking for... to re-map the non-standard keys. The usual re-mapping software does not address this issue.

You can try this to get the proper scancodes for the non standard keys.
    Use it in half or full teach mode.
    It does have some extra keys, not sure if it's for HP as well.
    Last edited by DeP; January 11th, 2010 at 03:57 PM.

keyboard Tweak does not address the special keys that I am referring to, but it's otherwise useful for remapping.

Checked with HP and I need to install a HP update: SP26752.exe. When I attempt the install I get an error message: "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update". ???

Turns out that the HP update SP26752.exe will not run because of the MS update MS06-015. So now the issue to how to remove MS06-015. Any fresh thinking on this will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Look in "Add/Remove Programs" -- with "Show Updates" enabled -- for "KB908531".

Quote Originally Posted by newstar View Post

I'm running xp- pro sp2.
    Installing SP3 may resolve the issue:or:or:

Thanks for the heads up. I've heard some ugly stories about SP3. Is the installation reversible? Please advise.

Thread Information