PC won't start with new memory

Thread: PC won't start with new memory

PC won't start with new memory

I am trying to install new memory into my desktop and when i put the new memory in, the pc won't boot. it turns on and i can hear the fan go but nothing else happens. I did a Crucial scan and used the recommended memory for my pc.

Its a dell xps 410 with an intel core duo processor. It has four memory slots with two 512mb currently installed. The pc runs fine with the old memory in but won't start with any of the new memory.

What is the make/model of the new ram?

Did you try putting a single stick of ram? Did you try pulling the 512s and only using one stick of the new ram?

1gb ddr2 667mhz

I already tried putting in a single stack, putting it in with the 512s, and about every other combination out there.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Do you have only one 1gb stick? That computer has dual channel ram and if you just add one stick it could be the reason it's not booting up.

Here's the specs on your computer:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1104326

And here is the documentation on installing memory: You'll need to scroll down the page for the memory installation part.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1462641

I have four 1gb sticks. I installed it the correct way too.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Did you buy the correct speed? Some computer motherboards will only allow you to install certain speeds. I had one that unless I installed only two memory modules, it would not boot because the FSB was only 333. But that was DDR1 not DDR2. Not sure it makes a difference the DDR2 memory.

You could try this. Reset the BIOS by removing the small coin looking battery on the motherboard for about 30 minutes, then reinstalling it. Could be the memory change got it scrambled.

Here's some guesses:
    Have you disconnected peripherals such as network cabling and USB memory devices?

You may need to enter the BIOS and adjust a setting before installing the new RAM...or perhaps after installing it if it lets you into the BIOS.

Otherwise, you may have to upgrade the BIOS by flashing it or reprogramming it to support the increased capacity.

Do you know how to enter the BIOS on your computer?
    I would enter the BIOS, and check to see if any setting applies to the amount of RAM you need to get installed. Be careful while in the BIOS not to change anything unintentionally.
    Open your mind, not your computer.

You can also try resetting the bios by removing the cmos battery for a couple of minutes.

Thread Information