[RESOLVED] Error extracting .zip files

Thread: [RESOLVED] Error extracting .zip files

Threaded View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Error extracting .zip files

Yesterday, I downloaded some .zip files and wasn't having any problems extracting them. After I downloaded the last file I intended to download for the day, I went to extract it and that's when I ran into a problem. It began to extract just fine, then I got an error message that said:

"An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem:

Error 0x80004005: Unspecified Error"

I've received Path Too Long errors before when extracting .zip files before, so I thought that this might have been the same thing. When I got those, I just manually copied the file by dragging and dropping. Though, when I tried that this time, I still got the same error. I'm fairly certain that this file is not corrupt, either. Like I said, I didn't run into this error until I tried to extract the last file I intended to download. To test, I redownloaded the file I had just downloaded before the one that initially gave me the error. I got the error with the file I redownloaded as well. I think I should point out that the .zip files include a folder with two files inside in the folder. When attempting to extract the .zip, the folder inside the .zip and the smaller of the two files are extracted just fine, the error seems to be preventing the larger of the two files from being extracted. This makes me think that the error might have something to do with the size of the file. The larger files are about 338mb.

So, does anyone know what is causing this or how I might fix it aside from installing a third party extraction program?

Vista Home Premium SP1
    Last edited by Syzich; January 4th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.

Thread Information