Yesterday, I downloaded some .zip files and wasn't having any problems extracting them. After I downloaded the last file I intended to download for the day, I went to extract it and that's when I ran into a problem. It began to extract just fine, then I got an error message that said:
"An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem:
Error 0x80004005: Unspecified Error"
I've received Path Too Long errors before when extracting .zip files before, so I thought that this might have been the same thing. When I got those, I just manually copied the file by dragging and dropping. Though, when I tried that this time, I still got the same error. I'm fairly certain that this file is not corrupt, either. Like I said, I didn't run into this error until I tried to extract the last file I intended to download. To test, I redownloaded the file I had just downloaded before the one that initially gave me the error. I got the error with the file I redownloaded as well. I think I should point out that the .zip files include a folder with two files inside in the folder. When attempting to extract the .zip, the folder inside the .zip and the smaller of the two files are extracted just fine, the error seems to be preventing the larger of the two files from being extracted. This makes me think that the error might have something to do with the size of the file. The larger files are about 338mb.
So, does anyone know what is causing this or how I might fix it aside from installing a third party extraction program?
Vista Home Premium SP1
Last edited by Syzich; January 4th, 2010 at 01:40 PM.
Using my XP computer, I redownloaded the first .zip file that gave me the error on my Vista computer and I was able to extract it just fine. Wanting to test further, I burned the two .zip files that gave me the error on my Vista computer and attempted to extract them on my dad's computer. Not surprisingly, I received an error. Though it was worded differenly, probably because his computer is running XP. Then I burned the copy I downloaded to my XP computer and attempted to extract it on my dad's computer and was able to do so just fine. Wanting to test things even further, using my Vista computer, I redownloaded some .zip files I had previously downloaded and all of them extracted just fine. So then, using my Vista computer, I
redownloaded the .zip file that initially gave me the error and was able to extract it just fine .
Thanks for the WinRar suggestion, SuperSparks, but in the end, I was able to extract the .zip using the built in Vista extraction wizard.
Last edited by Syzich; January 5th, 2010 at 04:10 PM.