[RESOLVED] Outlook 2003 mail set-up problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] Outlook 2003 mail set-up problem

Resolved [RESOLVED] Outlook 2003 mail set-up problem

Friends,

I have a desktop PC running Win XP and Office 2003, and have cable Internet from Comcast (SF Bay Area).

I recently changed companies and am having difficulty getting Outlook to work with their email carrier. They are using Google mail and whatever I do, I cannot get Outlook to authenticate. When I log directly into the Gmail site, I have no problem so I know the user name/password I'm entering are correct. The incoming set up is: imap.gmail.com and smtp setting is: smtp.gmail.com. They also show set up using SSL for outgoing and I have changed a port to 465 per the screen shots they sent for set up.

I've NEVER had difficulty setting up an email account and for the life of me I cannot figure out what the problem is here. I have spoken to support at Netgear and changed some settings in my wireless router, though the desktop is a wired connection.

The error message is that Outlook cannot authenticate the connection and fails as soon as I finish the set up.. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I recently changed companies
    Are you and your computer sitting in a new office/location/different ISP then your home email account?

Have you compared your settings line by line with a co-worker?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

I am working from home rather than an office. The company sent me instructions with screen shots for each step of the setup and I'm unable to get it to work, hence my post here. Thanks.

It is possible that the instructions were for use on their internal network. Do they mention setting up an account as POP3, or Exchange Server?

As it turns out, they use Google sync for many of us that have iPhones and Blackberries.. So I installed the Google sync app for Outlook and it configured Outlook on its own.. I'm good to go though I still can't figure out why I couldn't do it on my own.. Doesn't make any difference now though since it's working fine! Thanks for the help.

Thread Information