VMware Workstation 7 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Thread: VMware Workstation 7 & Windows Server 2008 R2

VMware Workstation 7 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Using VMware Workstation 7, I was attempting to create a virtual machine of Windows Server 2008 R2. I do own Server 2008 R2 and have a valid product key. When installing, an error message appeared stating: "The unattend answer file contains an invalid product key. Either remove the invalid key or provide a valid product key in the unattend answer file to proceed with Windows installation." I attempted the install two times with the same error message appearing. Has anyone ever experienced this before??? Any guidance would be appreciated and I thank you in advance.

I take it you are not using the original Server 2008 install DVD? Because it sounds like somebody has burned an "unattended install" disc here.
    Nick.

I was installing directly from the .iso file that Microsoft provides from TechNet.

VMware has the ability prior to installation to input the product key and setup a username and password. This has worked on all of my other virtual machines that I've created except this one. Odd...

IMO it's easier to install it in trial mode without the key until you get the VM set up. Installing VMware Tools sometimes sets product activation off, as does changing some settings occasionally.
    Nick.

I'll burn the .iso to disc and try an install from there and see how that goes. I'll report back what I find.

I retried my .iso after all. All I did was, instead of filling in the unattend installation information, make sure my username was displayed in the unattend and then I clicked Next without choosing a password or typing in the product key. The installation completed and I started the VM. I then registered the product and created a password for my username. Done.

There is one caveat though. When I start/re-start the VM now, I receive an error message that says, "The user name or password is incorrect." I click on the OK button and then my profile comes up and prompts me for my password. I enter my password and I'm in. Interesting... Would anyone happen to know what profile the OS is trying to log into first that causes the above listed error? I just want it to default to my profile on startup, not whatever profile it's trying to default to.
    Last edited by stressed; December 5th, 2009 at 08:14 PM.

It's possible to edit the unattend answer file...

I'm obviously a little late with this...

It is possible to edit the unattend answer file, but you need a binary editor. I used MS Visual Studio; if you don't have that, there are a bunch listed here (though I've never checked any of them out): http://binary-editor.vista-files.org/

In the subdirectory for your new VM, locate the file autoinst.flp. Edit the file and search for ProductKey There will be two instances. For both instances, simply replace the key data with the correct information, or remove it entirely (but leave all of the XML tags behind).

-IAmHe

Thanks for the info.

Thread Information