91% isopropyl alcohol okay for cleaning computer parts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 91% isopropyl alcohol okay for cleaning computer parts

91% isopropyl alcohol okay for cleaning computer parts

Is 91% isopropyl alcohol okay for cleaning computer parts ? I cannot find anything better than that - CVS carries 91 % - thats it.

The Computer messed up my life, did it yours too

That will work. Had to use it myself from the same place.

Wikipedia: Isopropyl alcohol
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol
    Uses

Examples of this use include cleaning electronic devices such as contact pins (like those on ROM cartridges), magnetic tape and disk heads (such as those in audio and video tape recorders and floppy disk drives), the lenses of lasers in optical disc drives (e.g. CD, DVD) and removing thermal paste from IC packages (such as CPUs.)

It is also used to clean LCD and glass computer monitor screens (at some risk to the anti-reflection coating of some screens), and used by many music shops to give second-hand or worn records newer-looking sheens (though it may leach plasticizer from vinyl, making it more rigid). Pure isopropyl alcohol should not be used to clean vinyl records.

Isopropyl alcohol also works well at removing smudges, dirt, and fingerprints from cell phones and PDAs.

Safety

Isopropyl alcohol vapor is more dense than air and is highly flammable with a very wide combustible range. It should be kept away from heat and open flame. When mixed with air or other oxidizers it can explode through deflagration.[6] Isopropyl alcohol has also been reported to form explosive peroxides.[6][7]

Toxicology

Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption.
    Around 15 g of isopropanol can have a toxic effect on a 70 kg human if left untreated.

It is also used to clean LCD and glass computer monitor screens (at some risk to the anti-reflection coating of some screens)
    I did not know this ? Can I dilute with distill water and use it on my desk and laptop monitor ? or where could I buy the "cheapest" lcd cleaner ?

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I use Distilled Vinegar to clean my monitor screen. I dilute this with 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar. Works great.

I use Monster ScreenClean from Walmart. It's alcohol free. Works OK for me.
    The true test of character is not how much we
    know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do

If you can get them, the swab that doctors and nurses use before they give you an injection, which are soaked in Isopropryl Alcohol, are excellent for cleaning off thermal paste, etc. I don't know what the percentage is that they use, but I've never found anything better
    Nick.

That alcohol swab is available everywhere - at CVS, Walgreens etc. It's 70% as far as I remember.

I use Peppermint Flavored Listerine....not only cleans, but my computer now smells minty fresh.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

That's funny because I use alcohol swabs instead of listerine. Doesn't taste good, doesn't smell good and doesn't do a great job but it gives one heck of an afterkick.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

How about Lysol, it will not only clean but there will be no need for antivirus also, as it will disinfect also

I use Peppermint Flavored Listerine....not only cleans, but my computer now smells minty fresh.
    Bistro, do you use it before or after you gargle?
    The true test of character is not how much we
    know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by jmtjet View Post
    Bistro, do you use it before or after you gargle?
    Before I gargle....I hate to waste the stuff....I get fresh breath, but I sometimes end up with a lot of dust and thermal paste between my teeth.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

Quote Originally Posted by bistro View Post
    I sometimes end up with a lot of dust and thermal paste between my teeth.
    Surely that's a good thing - it will stop your teeth from overheating when you drink a coffee
    Nick.

ok ok .... for somebody who is looking for an answer -

I found that 30% isopropyl alcohol i.e. dilute it with distill water and use that with a microfiber cloth to wipe lcd and you can't go wrong.

Thread Information