[RESOLVED] Question about my PC Profile-64 Bit or 32 Bit?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Question about my PC Profile-64 Bit or 32 Bit?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Question about my PC Profile-64 Bit or 32 Bit?

I have always thought I had Windows Vista 32 Home Premium but this morning I was looking at the printed copy of my Belarc Advisor report and it says I have:

Windows Vista Home Premium (build 6000)
    2.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core.
    Does this mean I have 64 instead of the 32 as I thought? What got me interested in this is because I found a web site that lists XP games that are compatible with Vista and it depends on which you have--either 32 or 64 for which games to work. My granddaughter is coming to visit me this evening for the weekend and I have a Reader Rabbit game for her but its requirements are for Windows XP. I am trying to find out if this game will work on my computer or not so that she will have something to play while she is here.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

2.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core -> You have a 64 bit CPU processor and could run a 64bit operating system if you wanted to...

Windows Vista Home Premium (build 6000)-> is the 32bit version
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Try installing the game, if you run into problems, use Compatibility Mode:

Using Vista Compatibility Mode
    Nick.

Sorry I took so long getting back here but had to go out of town unexpectedly.

Steve, I am confused by your answer. You said:
    2.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core -> You have a 64 bit CPU processor and could run a 64bit operating system if you wanted to...
    But the you said:
    Windows Vista Home Premium (build 6000)-> is the 32bit version
    I am not sure what the 2 statements mean. Are you saying I have 32 or 64? What is the difference in the 2 statements if the 2 are not the same thing?

SuperSparks: Thanks for the link & I will try it after my granddaughter gets here. Can not do it until she is here because it is a birthday gift to her and she has to open the gift first.

Thanks,
    Sheila

The computer is set up to run a 64-bit OS, but the version of windows 7 you have is the 32-bit version.

Train: Let me see if I understand this correctly. My "Vista" copy is a 32 bit copy, but my computer itself is 64 bits, which in turn means that if I ever wanted to run an OS that was 64 bits, then there would be no problem for me? If that is true, then my PC must be backwards compatible if it is 64 bits but able to run a 32 bit OS? If all this is true, then it is something I did not know. I am afraid that I am not as computer literate as I thought I was.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy63 View Post
    Train: Let me see if I understand this correctly. My "Vista" copy is a 32 bit copy,
    Yes that is true

but my computer itself is 64 bits, which in turn means that if I ever wanted to run an OS that was 64 bits, then there would be no problem for me?
    That is also true

If that is true, then my PC must be backwards compatible if it is 64 bits but able to run a 32 bit OS? If all this is true, then it is something I did not know. I am afraid that I am not as computer literate as I thought I was.
    Thanks,
    Not quite right, but as you can see, a 32-bit OS will run just fine on 64-bit hardware. Which is close enough for what we need.
    And a point we must always remember is not to mix up the software version, 32 or 64-bit, with what the hardware is capable of. That is mixing Apples and Dump trucks if we think they are the same.

Thumbs up Confusion Cleared Up

Train: Thank you for clearing everything up for me--I was so confused. Now I understand the concept of 32 bit software and 64 hardware--just was not thinking that way until you pointed it out. Now everything makes sense.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

You are Welcome!

Thread Information