November 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Shtyle.fm - and the Teddy
A friend of mine is unwittingly sending an attachment with his outgoing emails.
It says 'Chris has sent you a Teddy.' It's some kind of greeting message that claims you've won a gift. (see attached)
There's a link to 'opt out' of Shtyle emails at the bottom but I don't want to recommend that he clicks it, it's only going to confirm his address.
Anyone know how to get rid of it?
Thanks - rev
November 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
If he's sure it's coming from his PC then have him follow these instructions. (if he's getting messages from other people that they're getting these emails from him it's possible that it's from someone else because most of these types of infections spoof an email address they've randomly selected from an infected computers address book... so someone else may be responsible. Have him send himself an email and see if it's infected)
Print these instructions out.
NOTE. If any of the programs listed below refuse to run, try renaming executive file to something else; for instance, rename hijackthis.exe to scanner4.exe
1. Download SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users:
* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here: http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html.)
* Close SUPERAntiSpyware.
PHYSICALLY DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET
Restart computer in Safe Mode.
To enter Safe Mode, restart computer, and keep tapping F8 key, until menu appears; select Safe Mode; you'll see "Safe Mode" in all four corners of your screen
* Open SUPERAntiSpyware.
* Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
* Under [b]General and Startup" tab, make sure, Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts option is UN-checked.
* Click the Scanning Control tab.
* Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
- Close browsers before scanning.
- Scan for tracking cookies.
- Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
* Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.
* Back on the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
* Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click OK.
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click Next.
* A notification will appear that Quarantine and Removal is Complete. Click OK and then click the Finish button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click Yes.
* To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
- Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
- Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
- If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
- Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
* Click Close to exit the program.
Post SUPERAntiSpyware log.
NOTE: Tracking cookies can be omitted from the log.
RECONNECT TO THE INTERNET
2. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php to your desktop.
(Malwarebytes is free to use as a manual scanner. Payment is only required if you wish to have it run and update automatically which is not necessary for our purposes)
* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.
The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
3. Download gmer.zip: http://www.gmer.net/files.php
Unzip the file, and double click on gmer.exe, select Rootkit tab and click the Scan button.
When scan is completed, click Save button, and save the results as gmer.log
Warning ! Please, do not select the "Show all" checkbox during the scan.
Post the log to your next reply.
4. Download, install, and run HijackThis:
Post HijackThis log.
Do NOT attempt to "fix" anything yet with Hijackthis!
DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs, using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!
Above layout courtesy of Broni
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)