USB HUBS?

Thread: USB HUBS?

Question USB HUBS?

Can you add another 4 port usb hub to an existing one,use one of those ports?
    amd64 athlon x2 4600 vista hp 32b, 160hjd 160 hd 250 ext 2g ram
    tks
    erg

Yes, it'll work ... most of the time. However, if the USB device you're attempting to supply power to through all of these hubs fails to work, don't blame the USB device.

It would similar to trying to run say a 100-watt light bulb through a string of 100 6-foot zip cords, (i.e., el'cheapo 2-wire extension cords). By the time the voltage makes it through all of that resistance, you might have enough to power to produce maybe 5-watts worth of light at the other end. Watch it though, all of that resistance also produces heat. And if it's enough heat, it can melt the insulation off of the extension cords. (Been there).

I read this in Wikipedia, and it's what I've learned at my computer tech school:..."A USB system has an asymmetric design, consisting of a host, a multitude of downstream USB ports, and multiple peripheral devices connected in a tiered-star topology. Additional USB hubs may be included in the tiers, allowing branching into a tree structure with up to five tier levels. A USB host may have multiple host controllers and each host controller may provide one or more USB ports. Up to 127 devices, including the hub devices, may be connected to a single host controller.

USB devices are linked in series through hubs. There always exists one hub known as the root hub, which is built into the host controller. So-called sharing hubs, which allow multiple computers to access the same peripheral device(s), also exist and work by switching access between PCs, either automatically or manually. They are popular in small-office environments. In network terms, they converge rather than diverge branches.

thks

i did a google shortly after i posted maybe i'd be better off to go with one device in a 6--7 or what ever unit, had not shopped them
    eg

Thread Information