Dell Dimension 2400 starts up to Window wp logo displays, and then black screen

Thread: Dell Dimension 2400 starts up to Window wp logo displays, and then black screen

Dell Dimension 2400 starts up to Window wp logo displays, and then black screen

Hi,

First of all, I apologize for any mistake in English, as my native language is French.

I have been using a Dimension 2400 for years without any problem

Now, I am facing the following trouble :

When I press the power button, the front green light is not as dark green as usual. The PC starts untill the display of the windows (XP) logo. And then, the screen gets dark. The mouse works, but no action can be done.

I tried various things such as unplugging the computer or starting in safe mode. But nothing worked.

All the four diagnostic LEDs on the rear are green.

I have also made the following tests :

- by pressing the F12 key, I could reach the menu that allowed me to check the hard disk : the result was "Pass"

- I also tried to go to "Boot to utility partition", but this leads to the display of the Windows logo screen, followed by a black screen

- I also tried to start in safe mode, but this leads to the display of the Windows logo screen, followed by a black screen

Finally, I tried to repair windows xp from the cd, but after the repairing process nothing changed :

I still reach the windows logo screen, and then I get a black screen (just with the mouse cursor on it, which can move)

Could someone help me in this matter ?

Thank you in advance,

Patrick

Download UBCD and burn it to CD, it has all the memory testing and disk diagnostic utilities on it plus many more besides. Run MemTest and Windows Memory Diagnostic, as well as the disk utility for your brand of hard drive (or Seatools if you aren't sure). All you have to do is to boot up with the disc in the drive, select the utility that you want to use, and it will run.

Ultimate Boot CD
    Nick.

Thread Information