[RESOLVED] CD/DVD drive not found
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] CD/DVD drive not found

Resolved [RESOLVED] CD/DVD drive not found

My cd/dvd drive is missing in Bios and winXP device manager. Both drives will open, but they can't read anything. They were both working fine until I had to replace my motherboard. Everything else is working except for the cd/dvd drives.
    I have tried several things with no help. I went in registry and removed upper and lowerfields, and I have uninstalled all burning programs.

A strange thing is, the drive letters are skipping, for instance, I have c, and f drives, so it is skipping my d and e drives, which is my cd and dvd drives?

This is a dell dimension 8250, winxp pro. DVD is a LG, cd drive is Hitachi-lg

I sure hope someone can help me with this...

Thanks,
    pattigirl
    Dell Studio XPS Intel Core i7 2.67ghz, 4gb ram, 600gb sata hdd, ATI Radeon, Realtek audio, Optiarc DVD-RW. Vista premiun 64bit

Dell Dimension 8250, 2.40ghz, P4, 512ram, 1- 200gb, 1 60gb hdds, nvidia Geforce4, Creative SB live, CDRW, DVDRW WinXP Pro

pattigirl--Perhaps of help,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thanks for the link, Jim, but I have already tried that also, without any help.
    I am completely lost, I have tried everything I know to try.
    Again Thanks
    Dell Studio XPS Intel Core i7 2.67ghz, 4gb ram, 600gb sata hdd, ATI Radeon, Realtek audio, Optiarc DVD-RW. Vista premiun 64bit

Dell Dimension 8250, 2.40ghz, P4, 512ram, 1- 200gb, 1 60gb hdds, nvidia Geforce4, Creative SB live, CDRW, DVDRW WinXP Pro

Did the drives stop working immediately after the motherboard was replaced? If so, then I would suspect a hardware problem, unless the new motherboard was NOT an EXACT replacement. Check the data and power cable connections, and make sure that the trays open and close. Replace the data cables with known good ones. Check the BIOS to make sure that all drive controllers are enabled. Check Device Manager for the controllers also.

One of these may help:
    1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
    Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
    or...
    2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
    Restart computer.
    or...
    3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
    Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
    Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
    Accept registry merge.
    Restart computer.
    or...
    4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
    You'll see two items:
    - ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
    - ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
    Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
    Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Quote Originally Posted by pattigirl View Post
    My cd/dvd drive is missing in Bios and winXP device manager. Both drives will open, but they can't read anything. They were both working fine until I had to replace my motherboard. Everything else is working except for the cd/dvd drives.
    I have tried several things with no help. I went in registry and removed upper and lowerfields, and I have uninstalled all burning programs.

A strange thing is, the drive letters are skipping, for instance, I have c, and f drives, so it is skipping my d and e drives, which is my cd and dvd drives?

This is a dell dimension 8250, winxp pro. DVD is a LG, cd drive is Hitachi-lg

I sure hope someone can help me with this...

Thanks,
    pattigirl
    Do not install zip drive at first, when installing XP. Also check for proper jumpers setting in drives,

Also, check that the ports are enabled in the BIOS Setup. If they are SATA drives, make sure that the SATA ports on the motherboard are set to IDE mode.
    Nick.

The drives dont show in device manager, nor do they show in bios.
    I no longer have a zip drive, I need to redo my info. Both jumpers are set to CS.
    Neither one are sata drives, in bios it shows both my hdds, but doesn't show my cd/dvd drives at all.
    I am going to try the cdgone.zip and hope that fixes it.
    Thanks to you all...

If The drives do not show in the BIOS, and all IDE channels are enabled, then you have a hardware problem. Replace the data cable and check the power connections to the drives. If the BIOS still doesn't see them, then either they both died or the IDE controller on the motherboard has died.

So it has to be the cables or motherboard correct? I am sure both drives didn't die at the same time....I am going to try changing the cables, I have already checked that they are connected on both. If it is the controller on mobo, does that mean a new mobo? I just bought this one......
    Thanks for all the help

If the motherboard is still under warranty, I'd try for a replacement. Otherwise, you could add a PCI IDE controller card.

You could try clearing the CMOS, that will reset all the BIOS defaults and may help it detect the drives. There should be a jumper on the motherboard to do that, if there isn't or you can't find it then pulling the motherboard battery out for a few minutes will achieve the same result (unplug the power lead as well).
    Nick.

This is a fix I found when I lost my DVD burner on my brand new laptop w/vista. This fix will als work for Windows XP. I had the same problem on a XP machine, Pre SP1.
    If you haven't got your CD/DVD's back yet, give this a try:

Go to Start. When the Start Menu opens you should see the words “Start Search”. In the box where Start Search is type “REGEDIT” then hit your enter key (no quotation marks just the word regedit). Next you’ll be prompted, click on Continue. The Registry Editor will now open.

In the Registry’s Left Side of the Window you’ll see the folders:
    HKEY_Class _Root
    HKEY_Current_User
    HKEY_Local_Machine
    HKEY_Users
    HKEY_Current_Config

Now in the left window go to HKEY_Local_Machine, Click on the small arrow just to the left of the words. This will open the next set of folders or sub-directory. If you will now note in the string below there is a \ in-between each set of words. Each time you see \ , you’ll need to click on a new arrow beside the correct word or words.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I’ve broken it down for you below. 1. Click on the arrow beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, 2. Click on the arrow beside SYSTEM, 3. Click on the arrow beside CurrentControlSet, etc…

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    2. SYSTEM
    3. CurrentControlSet
    4. Control
    5. Class
    6. {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

You need to click on the Folder or the String of Numbers to open the Right Hand Window, not the Arrow to the Left as you’ve been doing up until now {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. You’ll need to now look in the Right Side if the Registry Editor Window. You should now see lines that have the words Upper Filter and Lower Filter. You now need to Right Mouse Click on these lines one at a time then choose Delete. Don’t worry if both lines aren’t there, you’ll only need to Delete the one’s that are there! Hope that I have helped you and haven’t confused you.

Asus Zenbook Q508UG-212.R7TBL 2-in-1 Laptop
    AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Processor
    8gb DDR4 RAM (Soldered on Motherboard)
    1gb Western Digital Blue NVMe SSD
    NVIDA MX450 (DDR6)
    15.6" 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) Touchscreen
    Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless - AC 7260
    USB 1 x 2.0 - USB 1 x 3.0 - USB-C 1 x 3.1
    Micro SD Card Reader
    Lighted Keyboard
    Webcam/Microphone
    Windows 11 Professional
    MS Office 365 Family
    Logitech Anywhere MX Mouse

Thanks for all your help. When I went to the registry, neither upper or lowerfilter was in there, but it may be because I finally got it working again.
    Not sure what fixed it, I kept going to bios, and all of a sudden the cd/dvd was there listed with unknown. I had checked the cables, then I put different power supply in, and after that is when it starting showing the cd/dvd. So I put the old power supply back in to see if it was still working and it was. So I don't really know what happened, but it is working for now. It isn't showing the brand in my computer, but it is in device manager. I guess I need to install new drivers.
    Thanks to all for the help, I am going to save all this info in case it happens again.

Not resolved

Now I am getting a secondary 0 and 1 drive, not found, everytime I boot my pc? It says to put F1 to continue or F2 for setup.
    The drives are showing as unknown in bios, I can only put them to auto or off, and when I put them to auto, it shows unknown?
    They are working, and I can see them both in device manager, why are they showing as unknown in bios?
    I also went to registry again, and the upper and lowerfilters were not there.

What is my problem?

Thanks again

Thread Information