[RESOLVED] Sata device not found!

Thread: [RESOLVED] Sata device not found!

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Sata device not found!

I tried to wipe my hdd and reinstall xp home sp2.Im not very good with computers at the best of times but i followed the instructions and deleted partition and created a new one.
    Windows started to install then stopped saying there was an error.
    On trying again it shows a message that sata device not found on primary or secondary.It allows me to go into the setup for the raid but then says there isnt enough space to create or something.
    After exiting that menu it shows a screen with alot of data about slave disk,master disk etc and at the bottom says "error loading operating system".

Any help gratefully appreciated as the shop I purchased it from want £100 to fix.

You sometimes need to install the SATA drivers during Windows Setup, depending on the motherboard. You'll need to put the drivers on a floppy disk, then almost as soon as Setup starts, at the bottom you should see a message about installing SCSI drivers - press F6 at that point. Setup will then tell you when it wants the floppy, and after that it will see the drive and you can partition and format it.
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparks View Post

You sometimes need to install the SATA drivers during Windows Setup, depending on the motherboard. You'll need to put the drivers on a floppy disk, then almost as soon as Setup starts, at the bottom you should see a message about installing SCSI drivers - press F6 at that point. Setup will then tell you when it wants the floppy, and after that it will see the drive and you can partition and format it.
    Ithink its a bit more serious than that as my computer will not boot the windows install when i turn it on.All it does is:1 shows pge where you can press tab to go to post screen or del to go to set up.
    2 Then shows page that says "sata device not found primary"
    "sata device not found secondary"
    press ctrl and s to enter setup.(on doing this it takes you to a page about current created raid where you can enter raid setup utility.When you do this it says "not enough disk can be created Raid".)
    3 After exiting from the above it shows a final screen with data on it about the pri master disk and ide channels etc at the bottom it says "updating ESCD...success
    Verifying DMI pool data...........
    Error loading operating system(flashing cursor).

It doesnt do anything after that and wont read any discs windows or drivers.I still have all my original discs.

Ive borrowed a friends laptop while its down and i cant find any answers on google. Hope you have some ideas.

In that case, go into the BIOS Setup (it should tell you which key to press during the POST) and in the "Advanced BIOS settings" or similar section, set the boot order to:

1st device = Floppy drive

2nd device = CDROM

3rd device = HDD 0

Then try booting up with the Windows CD in the drive and Setup should run.
    Nick.

In that case, go into the BIOS Setup (it should tell you which key to press during the POST) and in the "Advanced BIOS settings" or similar section, set the boot order to:

1st device = Floppy drive

2nd device = CDROM

3rd device = HDD 0

Then try booting up with the Windows CD in the drive and Setup should run.
    Cheers that worked,ive got xp installed and all seems ok but the bios settings are all wrong (a well meaning friend tried to help)and everythings dragging on the screen as if theres no graphics card.
    I.e when im on the internet when i scroll the page it drags very slow in a juddery manner.
    Ive installed the drivers for everything(graphics,sound etc)and the only one i cant install is the vga driver,it says it cant detect it on the driver installation.
    Ive gone into the system settings to see if its enabled and it says its working properly but under properties there is no info and the enable/disable section that is normally there for some reason isnt.

Im very impressed mate youve saved me 100 quid. NICE ONE!
    I can live with a bit of judderyness,but if someone knows whats wrong, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tiltswitch View Post
    ... Ive installed the drivers for everything(graphics,... and the only one i cant install is the vga driver...
    You have the video card/chip drivers installed or you don't.
    Cheers.

Go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager (or Windows key + pause/break), and see if there are any yellow splats in there. If there are, right-click and choose Properties, and report back with the error message(s).
    Nick.

Go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager (or Windows key + pause/break), and see if there are any yellow splats in there. If there are, right-click and choose Properties, and report back with the error message(s).
    There are no error messages in device manager.When i try and run kmplayer it says "system fault,overlay mixer is being used by another program etc.Same problem if video driver not installed properly."

Also firefox has been crashing alot aswell.

I have installed all my chipset drivers except for vga.
    When i try to install it says "The system cannot detect the device please confirm that the device is configured properly and then restart the set up program."
    I have installed my radeon graphics card drivers.
    Has this possibly something to do with the bios as a friend changed loads of the settings trying to help.

Thankyou for your time.

p.s ,It still says sata device not found when pc boots up.do i still need to install them?
    Last edited by tiltswitch; September 23rd, 2009 at 01:17 PM.

Thread Information