Anyone use Windows Live Messenger?

Thread: Anyone use Windows Live Messenger?

Anyone use Windows Live Messenger?

Hello Everyone: I have no problem with Windows Live Messenger on my XP Home Edition, But I am now on my friends Vista and I installed the WLM but the messenger screen is different than mine and we cannot click on Call Contact from this screen, Please see attachment. and if someone knows how to fix this please let us know. I tried repair and reinstall and it did not make a difference? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I always say if it ain't broken, break it, then fix it!

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Do you not see what is in the screenshot below:

Photolady, Thanks, No, As you can see the options at the top of your screenshot, you have "File", "Contacts", "Actions, Tools, help
    I have none of them on my screenshot.
    BTW, I am not getting email notification here either. Maybe i missed a setting?

You should be able to navigate to them using the button on the far right, that I clicked on to get the drop down menus.

If you click on the icon, there is an entry you should have checked to get the menu bar on top.

You said>>
    If you click on the icon, there is an entry you should have checked to get the menu bar on top
    I think I clicked on all and did not see the Menu bar tab, but I will double check, However I am not on
    my friends Vista right now, will have to get back to you.
    Meanwhile can you tell me why I am not gettting email notifications? I may have forgotten where to set it from? Thanks
    Last edited by tombg59; September 23rd, 2009 at 08:20 AM.

Here is a another screenshot with the icon circled to show you which one to click. You need to left click, and hold it down for it to work. The "show menu bar" is in the first list, the last entry.

As for why you're not getting email notifications, check that you have entered the correct email address. I checked your settings and it shows "email notifications" are checked.

PhotoLady, Thanks for reply, the drop down menu you get is because you have the correct messenger screen, the messenger screen on my friends vista as you can see in the attachment is different even though it still has the place you marked on it the drop down is also different, but I will double check it when I get back to my friends place next weekend (I hope). I will then get back to you!
    My email address is correct, I also checked my Spam filters! I have been on this forum for quite a few years now and never had the email notification problem before now, I am still not getting them, cannot figure out why? Thank You

According to the attachment, your friend's screen is the same as mine. If it still doesn't work I suggest you or he re download that messenger and try again. Could be something got corrupted during the download.

As for you not getting emails, I can talk to our admin about this and get back to you or maybe he will.

Some ISPs filter out those email notifications as spam unfortunately. Other than checking your junk mail folder, and complaining to your ISP there isn't much you can do about that
    Nick.

tom, it seems that you're using yahoo as your email. If you change that to something like hotmail or gmail, you should get your notifications. You only need to change email address for this forum.

Thanks Super Sparks for the reply, Photolady, you said>>According to the attachment, your friend's screen is the same as mine.
    No its not if you look closely you have at the top of yours, File, Contacts, Actions, Tools, Help. These are missing on my friends screen? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it did not change anything on his Vista?
    Also, I have been using yahoo for this forum for years, but I will change it, if it will help, you are not in my yahoo spam, I checked!

And I told you how to get the menu up top. Click on the icon that's circled, and look at the bottom of the first drop down list, it shows an entry to put a check mark beside these words "Show Menu Bar", put the check mark there by clicking on it with the left mouse button.

Is your friend's computer clean of malware/spyware?

As I mentioned, I think the drop down menu was missing some options, but I will double
    check it and get back to you as soon as I can, he lives in another state and does no know how to use crossloop, so I have to go there. Talk later, Thank you

Are you right clicking that icon or left clicking? You need to left click on it. Right click does nothing.

Thread Information