[RESOLVED] What size to make a photo for an 8X10 print? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] What size to make a photo for an 8X10 print?

My Photo Gallery Must Be Corrupted

Train:

My Photo Gallery must be corrupted or something, because I followed your instructions exactly and the printer just won't open after I select all my photos. And now since you don't get a copy of your MS Operating system with new computers, I can't re-install Vista to see if that would fix the problem. I am just stuck with using the "File-Print" option.

It would kinda be hard to center the baby's head because I took the photo when she was only about 3 minutes old in the infant warmer (I was in the labor room)--not too much space left to center a baby's head in that. But I will figure something out.

So I should leave the print size to "letter size" and un-check the "fit to frame" for a better print? I would have thought by using "legal size" that it would give your more room for the photos, but don't want to do anything to mess things up.

Laminating the photos is a good idea in case he gets deployed somewhere. He just got of boot camp so he hasn't been deployed overseas yet.

Let me ask you something, when you print photos using Windows Gallery, does it give you the option to change your printer settings? I could change my settings if I was given the option but I don't get that option. This printer that my daughter gave me is an all in one printer and has no software for it. The software got lost and HP does not have software on it's site to download for Windows Vista for this particular printer. I just recently learned from the HP site that I can use Windows Gallery to scan photos because I can not scan photos without HP's software from the printer itself. Maybe that is half my problem using this printer--no software for it.

Thanks for the congrats on the new baby, she is my 3rd great-grandchild--I have 12 grandkids and now 2 of my grandkids have had these 3 great grands--shows you how old I am!

Thanks,
    Sheila

Post the model of that all in one.
    I or someone will see what we can find for it.
    And because I am lazy, post the make and model of your computer also. Research time.

Close to my age then, but younger. LOL

In the graphic above, bottom right is options, select that.
    Printer settings opens up.
    Selecting Printer properties opens that up nicely for me.

I did do a lot of research on HP's web site without getting a link to any software for this printer (for Vista that is) I hate to put you to doing so much work on my part.

Here is my printer:
    hp psc 2175 all-in-one

Here is my computer:
    Dell Inspiron
    At bottom of computer it says:
    AMD 64
    Athlon X2

Thanks,
    Sheila

HP drivers for a bunch of OS's.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...n&cc=us&dlc=en

Now see if you can find the service tag.
    http://dsnimg.dell.com/images/extern...inspiron02.gif

Train:

I went to this first link before when I was looking for the software & when I could not find any so I then downloaded the “HP Printing Diagnostic Utility” tool and ran it. It stated that I had the most updated driver they had for my printer. It also looked for other things to correct and said I had no problems.

I also clicked on the link on this page (just now) that said:

Driver Date Version Previous Size

HP Printers
    Installing 01-2007 N/A - 0 bytes
    the Printer
    Driver Located
    in Windows Vista (MF)

and when I clicked on the above, this is what it said on this page:

Installing the Printer Driver Located in the Windows Vista Operating System

Introduction
    A full feature software and driver package for Windows Vista is not available for your product. However, the Windows Vista operating system installed on your computer contains a basic driver solution for your product.
    With the basic driver, the buttons on the product do not function and some of the advanced product features are not available. But you can still print, scan, and import and view images on a memory card, using the workaround procedures in this document.
    Use the following instructions to install the basic driver in Windows Vista, and then review the workaround procedures to use the available features for your product. For photo editing, organizing, printing and sharing, you can also download HP Photosmart Essential software. Click here if you want to go to the download page for HP Photosmart Essential (in English).

Installing the printer driver
    The method that you use to install the basic Vista driver depends on whether you use a USB cable or a parallel cable to connect the product to the computer. Use the method for your type of cable.

Method one: USB cable connection (This is what I have & all of this was done when my daughter first connected the printer to my computer.)
    When you connect the product to the computer, Windows Vista detects the hardware and automatically installs the correct driver. A notification lets you know when installation begins and when it is complete. You do not have to download any software or insert the product CD.

1. Turn the product on.
    2. Connect the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable to the product and to the computer.
    3. A Your devices are ready to use window might display on the screen. If the window displays and does not close automatically, close the window.

Your basic Vista driver is now installed. Some functions might not be available as they were for Windows XP, but there are a few workarounds available. Click here to skip to the workaround procedures in this document.

Workaround procedures
    The basic driver in Windows Vista is sufficient for several functions. You can print from a software program, scan documents, fax documents, and import and view images on a memory card.
    Printing
    Use these steps to print from a software program.

1. Open the document to be printed in the software application in which it was created.
    2. Click File, and then click Print. (Which is the only thing that it will allow me to do!)

Scanning
    Use one of the following methods to scan a document.
    Method one: Scanning with Windows Photo Gallery (This is the method that I have been using to be able to scan my photos.)

Method two: Scanning with Paint

Method three: Scanning with Windows Fax and Scanning (Not available in all versions of Windows Vista)
    NOTE: This feature works only with Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Business, and Windows Vista Enterprise. (I don’t have any of these Operating Systems.)

So it looks as if I will have to settle using this printer the way it is since HP says there are no solutions for my problem.

The second link you posted, is this suppose to be what is on the back of my printer or my computer? I can’t get to the back of my computer because it is housed in a cabinet and I just had spinal surgery that won’t allow me to pull it out and look at the back of it.

Thanks,
    Sheila

Seems you are stuck then with the HP working the way it does then.

I use A Epson Stylus C88+ printer and a Epson Perfection V500 Photo scanner.

Leave the computer alone. Taking care of yourself is the first priority!

Had a interesting experience in Texas, got a hold of a 4X5 inch color negative which is to big to scan in.
    Contacted a local photo business and they scanned in the neg, printed a 8X10 and made a cd for $5 so I had a couple sheets printed out at 4 per sheet.

They definately did me a good turn price wise!

Thumbs up Very Good Deal!

That was a very good deal. You can not even get a CD made for that at Wal-Mart & they are just about as an inexpensive service you can get for making CDs of a roll of film. I really have appreciated all the help you have given me.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

You are most welcome!

Time to drop hints , new printer and scanner for your usage in the near future.

That was my plan as soon as I am able to work again. Then I can give my daughter her printer back.
    Thanks again,
    Sheila

Thread Information