[RESOLVED] What size to make a photo for an 8X10 print?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] What size to make a photo for an 8X10 print?

Resolved [RESOLVED] What size to make a photo for an 8X10 print?

I recently took a lot of photos of my granddaughter's baby shower and now I want to burn them on to a CD so that her mother can print out the ones that she wants. My daughter in-law usually always prints out all her photos to be an 8X10 picture. All the photos I transferred to my computer are anywhere between 4.50-5.00 MB JPEG. I want to reduce their size so that she gets a good quality photo but I don't want to reduce them too small so that they look distorted when she tries to print them out as an 8X10. I use PhotoScape for all my reducing needs because it is so easy to use. But I usually just reduce in order to upload photos to the web--which would be smaller than what you would want to print out.

In the resizing function of the program, it says:
    Reduce longer length to 100 px, all the way up to the option of reducing the longer length to 1600 px.

Below these options are also options for making photos bigger, such as stating:
    or adjust the longer width
    adjust the wider width
    adjust the height width
    And when you click on one of these options, it gives you the opportunity to erase what is in the number of px shown in a block. (It automatically adjusts the size of the length if you change the width and visa versa) Usually if I am wanting to enlarge, I just add a little bit bigger number into that block because I don't want to distort the photo.

Just to give you an example of one of the photos I just reduced, the photo was 5.1 MB JPEG. I saved it in the re-size function where it said:
    Reduce the longer length to 800 px.
    When I saved it to that size, then the new size showed 324.9 KB--which sounds as if it would be too small for printing out a 8X10.

Can someone give me some advice on what I should do in order to re-size these photos for printing out 8X10s ?
    Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by gypsy63; September 6th, 2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: To change some spelling.
    Sheila

Thumbs up Thank You

SypwareDr.
    Thank you for the link--it will not only be invaluable to me now, but also in the future when I may need more information about printing out different sizes of photos. I have only had my new digital camera for about 8 months, and it is so complicated to learn that I am still learning how to use all its features. And not knowing hardly anything about the things that this site talks about, it will make things a lot easier for me to make the best decisions about printing photos. And as this article does state, I do do a lot of cropping so having large images to work with will help me to produce better photos.
    Thanks again for the link,
    Sheila

Be sure to back up the originals before you get started.
    Lost bunches before I learned.

4.50-5.00 MB JPEG make beautiful archieve files.

By the way, I just use the windows print and it does spiffy with those large files. Yes it will constrain them to the paper size nicely.

Train, just one question?

Train:
    I always make copies of the ones I am going to change so that I always have the original--probably why I have so many photos on my hard drive! But my second drive is one T big, so I don't worry about it. One of the reasons I love using PhotoScape, is because when you make changes to a photo and if you don't "Save As" it automatically puts the original photo in a folder named, "original."

One question, what do you mean by:
    "I just use the windows print" ?

Do you mean go to "File" and click "Print"? That is what I always do.

Thanks,
    Sheila

In XP, I double click the photo asi it opens in picture viewer, at the bottom I select the printer.

Select any other pictures I wish to add in the next applet, hit next.
    Select my paper in properties, ok that, Now in the next select how you want the picture printer.
    Say I selected 4 pictures and wanted 3x5s, so I scroll down to what I want and select it.

Test it out and see what you think.
    Vista is fairly close, But the open in Windows Photo gallery. The print button is above the picture. Make sure your printer is listed at the top, paper sizes, etc.

Have Vista

I use Windows Photo Gallery all the time, but usually it is because you can stop on a photo and choose at the top "Open with" and choose which editing program you want to use to open the photo with for editing. According to what looks wrong with the picture in Photo Gallery will indicate to me which program I want to use to edit the photo with. But I never knew you could print from Photo Gallery. I just now tried it just to see what would happen when I hit the print button and it showed me the photo I had in the viewer and next to the photo was a list of different photo sizes I can print in: full page (1 photo), 4X6 (2), 5X7 (2), etc. But I could not figure out how you are can print out different photos using this one option. In other words, just to try it out, I had one photo open in the viewer, hit print, selected the 5X7 (2), which only showed me the photo that was opened in Photo Gallery, so next, I minused what was showing in the print option, and went back to Photo Gallery and hit next--then I did the same thing with that photo that I had just did the photo before that one. But instead of showing me the 2 different photos that I wanted to print, it showed just the one photo that I had selected the second time. And the bottom of my screen in the bar, it showed that I had two print options opened. So how in Vista do you select more than one photo to be printed? Or can you? I did not see any way to select other photos when I had the first print option opened. I hope you have used Vista because I know I am not explaining this very well but if you have used Vista maybe you can follow what I am saying.

It is after 11 PM where I live and I have to go to bed now because I have an early morning appointment with my doctor, which is out of town. So it will be tomorrow afternoon before I can check back here for your answer. Oh, by the way, in the print option, it showed for the photo I had opened was 600X600 dots per inch quality, was this a good quality? I did not print out any photos so I don't know. Right now my printer is out of black ink so I can't print out any photos at this time--I was just opening up everything you said to see what you were talking about.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

I open my folder, selected 4 pictures, and at the top I selected print.
    Scrolled down to the 3x5 and all 4 showed up.

Do not use Vista, my laptop, for printing and had to do some digging.

Hope that helps

Something is wrong

Train:
    Woke up supper early this AM so decided to check for your reply before going to the doctor.

I think something is wrong with my Vista. I say this because I followed your instructions exactly but when I clicked on the printer button, nothing happened--the printer would not even open. I thought maybe it was because I didn't have my printer on (even though I don't know why this would be the case), but I went ahead and turned the printer on just to see if this would help--still nothing. I selected and reselected several different times with the same results. I know that this is suppose to work just as you told me because after selecting the 4 photos, when my cursor hovered over the print button it showed text stating, "send the selected items to the printer." Do you think I should post this in a Vista forum in case it is a Vista problem?

Will check for answers later this afternoon.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

Please see my update in your other thread.
    I goofed and explained it there.

Train: Photoscape 3.4

Train:

Since our last posting, I have been exploring my free editing program, Photoscape 3.4 & have discovered a lot about it I did not know. Normally I only used it for editing photos because it does such a fantastic job (except for red eyes), but after our posts, I decided to explore other features. If you will download and install Photoscape 3.4, and click on one of it's options that says, "Page", you will see dozens of options for printing out multiple photos. There are a lot of other options that it offers that I am sure that you would probably use also. I guess one of my favorite features of its editing option is the part that is labeled as "Filter" & its subcategory "Region (out of focus)" because with this feature you can work on just individual parts of the photo that needs correcting without having to edit the whole picture. And the "Backlight" feature is very handy for lightening up darken areas in the far background. There are so many things that you can do with this program that it is hard to believe that it is free. I haven't had the opportunity yet to print out multiple photos, but that is only because I am still out of ink. (live 75 miles from anywhere that sells printers and accessories) Try it and see what you think.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

I threw a webpage together which shows how I use Print from the Graphics folder.

Yep, got home last night.

Print Button Just Does Not Work

Train:

I printed out your instructions and followed them exactly as you posted them--but when you click the "Print" button, just as before, nothing happens--printer does not even open. Only if I select just one photo will it open.

I think that Photo Lady in the Vista Forum was right when she said:

Using Vista Premium Home Edition- 32 Bit (what I have)
    That could be the difference, Train is using Vista Ultimate.
    This is what I did find out. If instead of clicking on "Print", I go to "File-Print", (after I have selected all my photos), then the options come up almost just like the ones that you posted. The difference being that when you want to select the right contact sheet, you have to select the option of either "Letter" or "Legal" under paper size for all the options of the contact sheets to show. Under "Paper Type" I see "HP Premium Photo" showing (have a HP printer) and there are options in a drop down menu under "HP Premium Photo" for other types of paper. There are no options at all for "Quality"--it will only show, "600X600 dots per inch" here.

One question I have. You know how you said,
    It does tend to clip the edges of graphics at times
    , is there anyway to fix this problem? I ask because I selected 9 photos to print out as wallet size, and it showed one photo as having the baby's head cut off. If I reduce the size of that particular photo, would that solve the problem? I have all the photos in a big file format thinking the pictures will look better.

And what is the difference between Legal & Letter size?

One last question. I noticed that when I have tried to print using these options in the past, it does not give me the option of changing my printer settings. A long time ago my daughter changed these settings for me to "print in gray scale" because I printed out mostly text and this saved me on ink. So now if I try to print out photos in a graphic program, the option does not come up for me to change the settings, everything prints out in gray scale. So what I had to do the other day when I wanted to print out a 8X10 colored photo (it printed in gray scale using Photo Gallery), I had to insert the photo into a "Word" document and print it out that way. At least when you use MS Word it lets you choose the printer settings. The photo turned out OK, but I think it would have turned out a lot better if I had used a graphic program to print it out instead of Word. Do you know how I can change this printer back to Normal permanently? I know this is a different topic, but it goes along with being able to print out photos since I can't really print them out in color if I can't change the settings. This was originally my daughter's printer so that is why I am so unfamiliar with it.

I have ink now & want to print out photos without wasting ink and photo paper because of mistakes I am making because I made wrong selections of how to print. My granddaughter's husband is in the marines and has never seen his new born baby & I would love to send him some photos. The only ones he has ever seen are ones people sent to him over his cell. I am sure he would rather have a print copy.

Glad you are back.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

Vista Premium Home Edition is what is on the new laptop I bought. And where I captured the graphics. And the procedure is identical to my ultimate.

having the baby's head cut off

Now here iis where I like those huge pictures for the base.
    I crop out a new one making sure I have more or less centered the persons head. I have even printed out as 8X10's and rescanned then in.

I have also taken the check out of fit to frame which has helped out.

And what is the difference between Legal & Letter size?

US legal is 8X14
    US letter is 8X10

A long time ago my daughter changed these settings for me to "print in gray scale"

Kind of sounds like corruption has entered in there now, so I would uninstall the printer, reboot the computer, then reinstall the printer.

My granddaughter's husband is in the marines

Congratulations on the NEW Grandchild. And yes, he just might like to have a printed photo of the child. Fact is, laminate a wallet size for him. My wallets fell apart in Vietnam and I was unable to get them laminated.

Let us see if we can get one printed for him!

Thread Information