[RESOLVED] What size to make a photo for an 8X10 print?

Thread: [RESOLVED] What size to make a photo for an 8X10 print?

Threaded View

Resolved [RESOLVED] What size to make a photo for an 8X10 print?

I recently took a lot of photos of my granddaughter's baby shower and now I want to burn them on to a CD so that her mother can print out the ones that she wants. My daughter in-law usually always prints out all her photos to be an 8X10 picture. All the photos I transferred to my computer are anywhere between 4.50-5.00 MB JPEG. I want to reduce their size so that she gets a good quality photo but I don't want to reduce them too small so that they look distorted when she tries to print them out as an 8X10. I use PhotoScape for all my reducing needs because it is so easy to use. But I usually just reduce in order to upload photos to the web--which would be smaller than what you would want to print out.

In the resizing function of the program, it says:
    Reduce longer length to 100 px, all the way up to the option of reducing the longer length to 1600 px.

Below these options are also options for making photos bigger, such as stating:
    or adjust the longer width
    adjust the wider width
    adjust the height width
    And when you click on one of these options, it gives you the opportunity to erase what is in the number of px shown in a block. (It automatically adjusts the size of the length if you change the width and visa versa) Usually if I am wanting to enlarge, I just add a little bit bigger number into that block because I don't want to distort the photo.

Just to give you an example of one of the photos I just reduced, the photo was 5.1 MB JPEG. I saved it in the re-size function where it said:
    Reduce the longer length to 800 px.
    When I saved it to that size, then the new size showed 324.9 KB--which sounds as if it would be too small for printing out a 8X10.

Can someone give me some advice on what I should do in order to re-size these photos for printing out 8X10s ?
    Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by gypsy63; September 6th, 2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: To change some spelling.
    Sheila

Thread Information