[RESOLVED] Vista Basic only boots to safe mode
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Vista Basic only boots to safe mode

Resolved [RESOLVED] Vista Basic only boots to safe mode

Hi Everyone

I have a problem trying to fix a friends laptop.

Basic Spec:
    Acer Aspire 5315
    1 gig ram
    1.8ghz celeron

O/S is Vista Basic

The problem:
    will only boot to safe mode

Using F8 to list boot options I have tried:
    Last known good config
    Start windows normally

These options take me to user login screen, main (admin) user is selected and then loads safe mode.

What I have tried so far:
    Created new user... same problem (boots to safe only)
    System restore, have selected latest and earliest possible restore points... same problem (boots to safe only)
    Start up config, deselected all start up options... same problem (boots to safe only)
    services config, hide all MS items, deselected all... same problem (boots to safe only)

What I'm currently trying:
    In safe mode (with neworking)
    Downloaded latest Superantispyware updates, currently doing a full scan
    Downloaded Malwarebytes latest updates and will do a full scan
    Update McAfee security and will run scan

So, is there anything else I can do or try?

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Midknyte

Have tried that yes, it failed at the point of admin login, the password is unknown. Besides there is no copy of Vista on CD here, its an acer laptop with vista pre-installed with restore CD's (that will be the last resort though)

Thanks for your input though

Just for update purpose:
    Super anti spyware and malware bytes reported some malware (surprise surprise) see attached files for info. Stupid file sharing! still will only boot to safe

BTW, it's a Vista DVD, not CD.

At this point it's up to you if you want to pursue repair or just do a clean install.

Maybe your friend needs to start backing up their computer with Acronis True Image or Paragon Drive Backup.

BTW, it's a Vista DVD, not CD.
    OK so now you know I'm still on XP myself! But is it that important?

As much as I advise, I can't (and wouldn't) control what my friends and family do with their PC's/Laptops.

So yes, a complete re-install would cure it, but hey, where's the fun in that? What would be the point of VDr if that was always the "fix"

Thank you again for your input.

Ok then you'll need to get a Vista DVD in order to try some of the other repair procedures. There's not much we can do from our side if you don't have the proper equipment. If all you have is a hammer when you need a wrench, there isn't a whole lot you can do besides getting a wrench.

I don't know the actual stats, but I do know that the majority of retail laptops & Pc's come with restore software (Floppy, cd & dvd ) and not with original O/S on any media type. We're not gonna exclude owners of such eqpt from support, are we?

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Ok then you'll need to get a Vista DVD in order to try some of the other repair procedures.
    Now then, lets forget "the some that need a vista DVD" and concentrate on the ones that don't... Lets see if we can fix it with the some that don't.

Thanks again for your input

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/downlo...recovery-disc/

You can try downloading the Neosmart repair disc. You need to repair/replace the boot files somehow.

OK .. do I need a CD or DVD for that .iso? ....

Just kidding , thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

You need a CD.

Instructions

1. Download the appropriate .torrent file from above that corresponds to the version of Windows Vista you have installed.
    2. Download and run µTorrent.
    3. Open the .torrent file you downloaded with µTorrent. (File -> Add Torrent)
    4. Select where you want µTorrent to save the Vista Recovery Disc.
    5. Wait for it to download.
    6. Burn the .iso file that µTorrent downloaded to a CD using these instructions.
    7. When you want to use the recovery center, put the CD in your drive and boot from it. This is usually done by pressing F8 at startup, or changing the boot drive order in the BIOS.

Ok, downloaded, burned image.

Booted from CD, tried option "startup repair" - No errors found

Also tried the System restore, but that was just repeating earlier attempts.

So still at safe mode boot

Note: These three Microsoft Vista startup repair options require a Windows Vista installation disc or the computer's preinstalled recovery options.

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f3f351033.mspx
    What is Startup Repair?

Startup Repair is a Windows Vista recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting correctly. When you run Startup Repair, it scans your computer for the problem and then tries to fix it so your computer can start correctly.

Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If your computer manufacturer has preinstalled recovery options, Startup Repair might also be installed on your hard disk. If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.

[...click here for the detailed instructions that have been clipped...]

Are there problems that Startup Repair cannot fix?

Startup Repair cannot fix hardware failures, such as a failing hard disk or incompatible memory, nor does it protect against virus attacks. Startup Repair is not a backup tool, so it cannot help you recover personal files, such as photos or documents. To help protect your computer, back up your system and files regularly. For more information, search for "backup" in Windows Help and Support.

Startup Repair is not designed to fix Windows installation problems. For more information, see Troubleshoot Windows installation problems.

What if Startup Repair can't fix my problem?

If repairs are not successful, you'll see a summary of the problem and links to contact information for support. Your computer manufacturer might include additional assistance information.
    --

A Stop error occurs, or the computer stops responding when you try to start Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810

--

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Thanks for all the help.

startup repair and bootrec.exe both failing to find or fix anything... so it's going to be a reinstall

Thanks again

Resolved Fixed it

Sometimes the wood can't be seen for the trees

I had another root around and what did I find? In system configuration there is a tab called "boot", and safe boot was ticked/checked. I unticked it, restarted and guess what? Windows boots normally.

So there we have another thing to look out for if someone else ever has this kind of problem

thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by techallenged View Post
    Sometimes the wood can't be seen for the trees

I had another root around and what did I find? In system configuration there is a tab called "boot", and safe boot was ticked/checked. I unticked it, restarted and guess what? Windows boots normally.

So there we have another thing to look out for if someone else ever has this kind of problem
    My friends laptop had this problem and I messed with it for hours, until I came across your post. Thanks alot bro, I truly appreciate the help

Thread Information