Help with Recoverd pictures

Thread: Help with Recoverd pictures

Help with Recoverd pictures

Hello and I hope that someone will be able to assist me. I recently recovered (tried) pictures from a DVD-RW using CDRoller v8.50. As far as I know it was successful at least to some degree. I originally had some pictures on the DVD-RW and went to add more and it added the new pictures but when it did I guess it wrote over the ones already on the DVD. I really do not remember how many pictures were on there originally (this was 2004) but what is on there now are 13 of the new pictures. This is what I have:

1. CDI Folder contains CDI_IMAG, CDI_TEXT.FNT, CDI_VCD.APP, CDI_VCD.CFG
    2. EXT Folder contains LOT_X.VCD, PSD_X.VCD, SCANDATA.DAT
    3. MPEGAV Folder " AVSEQO1.DAT
    4. PICTURES Folder I AM ABLE TO VIEW THESE (13 LAST ADDED)
    5. SEGMENT Folder ITEM0001.DAT THRU ITEM0016.DAT
    6. VCD Folder ETRIES.VCD, INFO.VCD, LOT.VCD, PSD.VCD

I have read up on this but it seems the more I read the less I know! Everyone has a different program or suggestion but nothing I have found seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I would most certainly appreciate if someone can assist me with this so that I will know what I have recovered, if anything? I know that the IMAGE0001.DAT - IMAGE0016.DAT are suppose to be the pictures. What I don't know are 13 of those the pictures that are in the picture file that I am able to view already or are those additional pictures or what? If so I evidently recovered 3 pictures that I have no idea what they are if they are different this is good. PLEASE help me. I am running Windows XP Media if further information is need let me know and I am more than happy to supply it.

JayJay

Have you tried using an image viewer program like Irfanview to view the files in question? Irfanview may recognize the image format. Alternatively, you could try copying the files and changing the extension to .jpg or .tif or .bmp to see what happens.

jdc2000 Images

Hello! Sorry for just now replying to your suggestion. To be honest I forgot I had this email and had not checked if for sometime now. Thank you for you advice on possibly how to view the pictures. I will try it this evening when I get home from work. So anytime you recover pictures you have to have a picture viewing program?? Is that correct? For some reason I just can't get this in my head and it "should" be fairly simple!!!! Any advice regardless of how simple you might think it is, if you don't care to share it with me I would really appreciate it and be grateful. He is my situation. I have lost some pictures on one of the computers that I have (don't remember which one because it has been awhile) that have been stacked up in the corner. I'm pretty sure that I have reinstalled windows once or maybe twice on the computer that has the pictures (like I said it is one of the older computers I have piled up in the spare room) on it I just cant remember because I just forgot about it and figured they were gone forever. What I did was I accidently had them on a DVD-RW and did not realize it so I went to add pictures on the DVD and it wrote over them (no I have NO IDEA where the DVD is). I figure they should be on the computer because I had to download them to the computer first and then I saved them to the DVD or I figured they would also be on there from inscerting the DVD from time to time and pulling the pictures up to look at, they should be somewhere on the computer right?

Pictures would normally have a file extension like .bmp, .jpg, .gif, .tif that indicates the type of image format they are stored in. If the file extension gets changed, image viewing software may still be able to recognize the file type, which is why I suggested using Irfanview. Simply viewing an image from a DVD on your computer does not transfer the file to your hard drive.

If you overwrote the files on the DVD and now can't find it, and have reformatted the hard drive on the computer you used to create the DVD the first time, then I'd say the pictures are gone. If you justs reinstalled Windows without reformatting on the computer you used to create the DVD originally, then they may still be there. IN that case your best bet would be to add the hard drive from that computer as a slave to your current one and search for the files.

Thread Information