[RESOLVED] CMOS on laptop vs desktop

Thread: [RESOLVED] CMOS on laptop vs desktop

Resolved [RESOLVED] CMOS on laptop vs desktop

I haven't replaced a CMOS battery on laptops, but I have done so on a desktop and it's very easy.

While messing with my HP laptop, I noticed the CMOS battery, rather than being in an easily replaceable spring holder like a desktop mobo, this was wired into a plug. The two leads from the plug looked like they were attached to either side of the battery to form a connection (I'm assuming they were soldered in place) and the whole thing was wrapped - not with electrical tape but some kind of similar sleeve.

Is this normal for laptops? If I needed to replace this battery, would I just get a replacement, prewrapped with the lead wires and just plug it in? Or do people typically take apart the wrapping and solder in a new battery?
    My equipment:

Acer Aspire AX3300-U1322 Desktop (sorry didn't build this time!), 4Gb RAM, AMD Athlon II quad core CPU

It varies from model to model. The wired ones usually come with the wires, so you just unplug it from the motherboard board and install the new one.

Okay thanks. I asked about the battery at Fry's the other day and they looked at me like I was nuts! Suggested I go to Batteries Plus or some other specialty battery store.
    My equipment:

Acer Aspire AX3300-U1322 Desktop (sorry didn't build this time!), 4Gb RAM, AMD Athlon II quad core CPU

You're not going to find that stuff at Fry's. Like I said, it's specific to make/model. Even within the same brand, they will have different batteries.

Some solder in, use wires and plug in and others use the same battery as desktops and many variations of those types.
    Examples of HP versions.
    http://www.bizrate.com/computers-sof...-cmos-battery/

Thanks for all the info. That N160 in the link looks like it.
    My equipment:

Sure hope it is.

You have to get the CMOS battery from battery folks normally.

Thread Information