dvd/vcr combo without tuner to hdtv

Thread: dvd/vcr combo without tuner to hdtv

dvd/vcr combo without tuner to hdtv

I have a dvd/vcr combo without a tuner. I want to be able to use the combo to record programs as I did with analog. Can I use a converter box and if so how do I hook it up.
    I have a new lcd hdtv.

Thnx

Are you recording over-the-air broadcasts, or do you have cable/dish sources?

antenna over the air.

I bought an AOC Envision Flat Panel HDTV. I have a Sharp DV-RW340U DVD/VCR combo. I simply want to connect them. The combo worked great with my analog TV for recording and playing VHS tapes and DVD's. But I am at a total loss now.

My hdtv is AOC Model #L32W761. My dvd/vcr combo does not have a tuner so do I need to use a converter box? I do not need to record from TV to my vhs but I do want to record to the dvd. Should I just connect to the dvd part of my combo unit? I hope I will not have to buy a new combo with a tuner. Spendy! Can I just use red, yellow and white or will I need to buy some other color jacks.

Thanks much.

Below are links to what I purchased this year for receiving over-the-air digital TV broadcasts. I have mine connected to my TV using the red/yellow/white video/audio cable. I got this even though I have cable because there are over-the-air channels not available on cable that had programs I wanted to watch.

Tivax STB-T8 Digital to Analog TV Converter Box
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EJJ2UU/

Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MXZB2/

Yes, I have my red, yellow and white jacks from the TV AV "ins" to the DVD/VCR combo "outs." Just like I did for analog. However, when I choose "source" composite, I just get a blank blue screen. Other sources will give me a screen that searches but cannot get a signal. I can't get anything from the TV through my vcr.

So, hopefully the converter box will do that for me. If not, I will need to buy a new vcr combo with a tuner. Hate to spend the money. I wanted to get it solved before Sunday so I can record the British Open Golf tournament because I won't be home for the last back nine holes. My sister just told me I can use
    her converter box.

I had read somewhere that I would need some kind of splitter and an RF modulator. Don't have a clue what they are. Also, one store sold me two s-video cables but that didn't work either. So I just got desperate and decided to come over here and ask you guys.

Thanks for your help. I will get my sister's converter box and try that. I don't want to buy anything more until I know for sure it will work.

Marion

Different models of converter boxes have different output capabilities. Below is the support page for the one I am using. It has info on how to connect it, and pictures of the device itself.

http://www.tivax.com/support.htm

Awesome! That's what I need. When my sister brings her converter box over, I will set it up. Will let you know how it turns out.

Again, much thanks.

Marion

Thread Information