DHCP server

Thread: DHCP server

DHCP server

My computer wont stay connected to the internet. I can start the connection but it always fails. When i click help me fix this, it says that the DHCP server failed to respond to the request your system made for automatic IP address configuration. When i click repair I get the same. I have tried releasing the IP and Renewing but it fails to renew. My gateway and my DHCP address are the same and i'm not sure if that is good or bad.

When i start to connect, i can get all the way to obtaining an IP address before it fails. I can surf the internet for a period of time before it automatically shuts my wireless radio off (even though it says it is disconnected).

I have an IBM think pad R60 (which i have had nothing but problems with if I might add) running windows XP sp3. I have a belkin 54 g router.

I am lost and any help would be appreciated. Let me know if I need to get more info. Thanks

My gateway and my DHCP address are the same and i'm not sure if that is good or bad.
    What do you mean they are the same? You mean your DHCP server address? If so, then that is correct. Your router is running DHCP.

Did you test with a wired connection?

What wifi security settings are you using?

Specify the model of the router. Did you reset both the cable modem and the router? Did you update the firmware?

Wired connection seems fine. I'm not sure what security settings i have on but two days ago the connection worked fine again after a few updates from Microsoft. After i shut the computer down and restarted, the problem was back. The router is a belkin 54G model F5D7230-4. This connection also works on my other wireless laptop. Even after restarting both the router, modem and the computer, the same problem persists. I have also updated windows. Not sure how to update modem but as i said, it works fine with my other computer which is a lenovo thinkpad R61.

I'm not sure what security settings i have
    Verify that on both the router and the problem system. You may want to disable security on the router just to check the wifi connection, then reapply the WEP/WPA settings.

Open a command prompt (Start --> Run --> cmd) and type:

ipconfig /all

Do this when your Internet connection works and also when it doesn't. Post back with the results.

TB
    The only barrier to knowledge is the perception that you already have it.

Ok, last post I said the wired connection was working fine. Today, it is not. Not sure if this is another one of those games my computer likes to play where certain features like to work one time and not the next but the I cant get the wired connection to work this time.

Verify that on both the router and the problem system.
    As for this, im not sure what exactly what I am supposed to be looking for or where to find it.

Here are the results from the ipconfig
    First one is from when I can surf the internet but yet the computer says i'm not connected.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\flivermo>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : flivermo-A49F06
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E4-C8-08-80

Ethernet adapter {F79977B4-10F5-4DE5-80A9-72A351753C1C}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter - Packet Sch
    eduler Miniport
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-42-00
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 198.110.200.10

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
    k Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-02-70-C8-E6
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.213.60.93
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:49:36 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 11:14:07 PM

This one is from after it shuts my internet off but i doubt it will help

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : flivermo-A49F06
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E4-C8-08-80

Ethernet adapter {F79977B4-10F5-4DE5-80A9-72A351753C1C}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter - Packet Sch
    eduler Miniport
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-42-00
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 198.110.200.10

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
    k Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-02-70-C8-E6

C:\Documents and Settings\flivermo>

If my wired connection starts to work again, i will repost that log but for now this is all i have.

Would it do any good to get one form another computer using the same router?

Quote Originally Posted by flivermo View Post
    ... First one is from when I can surf the internet but yet the computer says i'm not connected...
    According to what you posted for results of the IPCONFIG command,
    IF your laptop is not connected to the router with an ethernet cable, then it is normal.
    Cheers.

it seems to surf normally but...
    When i try to connect to my router, the little access connections box comes up and starts its thing. Once it applies my wireless settings and turns on my wireless radio, i can surf the internet for a period of time. It gets to the point where it says waiting for IP configuration and it tries for a while only to fail to connect. then after about 2 minutes, it (as in i have no idea what IT is) shuts off my wireless radio.

when I click help me fix this it tells me that --- the dhcp server on this network failed to respond to the request your system made for automatic IP address configuration. to force another request click repair. if the problem persists, contact your network administrator. ---

If i click repair, I get the same message. I have also found a loop hole in the past few minutes but would still like to get it fixed. First i found that all i had to do was turn on my wireless radio using my think vantage access connections and i could surf for a few minutes and everything was fine until IT shuts my wireless radio back off. It is annoying to have to turn it on every two minutes.

The next discovery was that i could shut off the master switch for my wireless radio located on the front of my laptop. I could then turn it back on and the wireless radio would pick up my router but not try to connect. I can then surf all i want and it doesn't shut it off. My access connections still tells me I am disconnected from my router but i can still surf the internet, download and anything else i would normally do.

I really have no idea what is going on and I am almost positive that i have not messed with any settings (could have be accident maybe). My computer used to do this once in a great while before and i could just restart the computer and it would work normally. Now a restart does nothing for this problem. I am not even sure this is exactly the same issue because before, i recall some other things missing that do not seem to be now.

another thing i forgot to mention in the begining that may help. I am running a pc tools spyware doctor with av and a pc tools firewall. I have not changed any of these settings and have been running it for some time now without problems. Just thought i should mention it.

Verify that on both the router and the problem system.
    As for this, im not sure what exactly what I am supposed to be looking for or where to find it.
    Who set up your wireless network then? You should have been the one to enter the encryption type and password. If you're not running encryption at all, that's a whole different ball of wax.

Are you only running spyware doctor? Did you try any better antimalware like Malwarebytes or Superantispyware?

Why do you have a nortel ipsecshm adapter? Are you using VPN or something? That is not normal.

using my think vantage access connections
    You may want to uninstall think vantage and just use the built in Wireless Zero Config tool.

Thread Information