[RESOLVED] How do I set up Printer sharing?

Thread: [RESOLVED] How do I set up Printer sharing?

Resolved [RESOLVED] How do I set up Printer sharing?

How do I set up my two computers to share an HP1320 laser printer which is not network enabled?
    My first computer is connected to the printer using a USB connection.

1. Can I use a printer cable (parallel connection) from the second computer to the parallel port of the printer without disturbing the usb connection of the first computer ?

OR

2. Is there a connection box available where I plug in both the computers and then connect that box to the printer to receive printing tasks from either of the computers?

Background info for both computers: using XP Home, enough spare memory, connected to router by Belkin Cat6 Networking cable, sharing ISP (AOHell)

If a solution can be found, in future I will also want to connect a laptop to the same printer, but that is not quite such a priority at the present.

Power Bank

Power Bank,

I've never actually tried using both a USB to one computer and a Parallel cable to another, but I cannot think of why it would not work. Just don't try printing from both computers at the same time.

Linksys has a wireless print server that will allow network printing from any computer on your home network. In my opinion, this is the way to go.....

TB
    The only barrier to knowledge is the perception that you already have it.

raised my children in Irving, Tx.,but now I live in the beautiful foothills area of North Central Arkansas
    Power Bank, as TB said...a printer switch will work if you want to go that way, or you can also set up all of your computers on a home network and have printer sharing set up also.

I Googled your question and here is one of the first sites:

http://askbobrankin.com/sharing_a_printer.html

I have my two computers in separate rooms and have printer sharing set up and it works just fine...the network wizards take you thru the necessary steps.
    Foxconn A7DA-S AM2/AM2+
    G-Skill 2x2Gig DDR2-1066 ( PC2 8500)
    AM3 X2 250 Regor 3.0 ghz ( @ 3500 )
    Enermax 620w psu
    LG sata dvd/cd drive
    WD 80Gig sata..XP Pro
    WD 160 ide..Linux Ubuntu
    CoolerMaster Centurion 534

If/when purchasing a print server,
    Since compatibility issue(s) are quite common,
    Purchase from a vendor with a large selection and
    Has a flexible return/exchange policies.

Since networking at home is becoming more common,
    A number of current monochrome laser manufacturers also has models with network capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Bank View Post
    ... HP1320 laser printer ...
    Webpage containing HP's own listing of compatible HP print servers, LINK
    Last edited by Shinma; July 9th, 2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added HP link
    Cheers.

raised my children in Irving, Tx.,but now I live in the beautiful foothills area of North Central Arkansas
    An advantage of a printer switch rather than network sharing is that on a network, the computer that the printer is directly hooked up to has to be on in order to print from the other computer. With a printer switch, that is not necessary.
    Foxconn A7DA-S AM2/AM2+
    Enermax 620w psu
    LG sata dvd/cd drive
    WD 80Gig sata..XP Pro
    WD 160 ide..Linux Ubuntu

Lightbulb Still at the drawing board

Thanx guys for the ideas and the Do's and Don'ts in this matter. As result I have been considering using an Auto USB printer switch and discovered quite an array on the market.
    The issues of compatibility, as Shinma rightly says, are quite common. The vendors are not quite willing to commit themselves to more than "it should work with an HP..." HP has hundreds of models in their range of printers which all have varying compatibility. The dealers are not prepared to say whether the particular switch will work with the 1320 laser.

I checked the HP website. It is a clear no-no! Their product costs more than the price of a new printer.

I think I'll have to widen my search because networking is the "in" - thing, where as I am going for the old fashioned hard wired set-up. Consequently a large number of automatic switches are being discontinued. So I'll have to keep Google quite busy until I land on the right product at the right dealer.

Power Bank

From your first post, does your printer have both a usb connection and a parallel connection?

Can I assume that both comps are on the same desk or close enough that a parallel cable will reach 2nd comp if you decided to try that possibility...and have you tried that yet?

If you know that you will be needing to do a lot of printing from the 2nd computer when the 1st is not turned on for whatever reason, then spending money on a print server may be your best choice.

But, why not just enable printer sharing and just turn on the 1st comp when you anticipate printing from the 2nd comp?

Home networking can also be used as a kind of back-up protection for pictures, data, etc. I use our network to copy pictures & videos of my Granddaughter from one comp to the other.
    Foxconn A7DA-S AM2/AM2+
    Enermax 620w psu
    LG sata dvd/cd drive
    WD 80Gig sata..XP Pro
    WD 160 ide..Linux Ubuntu

@Stevejr -edited to answer your questions:-
    From your first post, does your printer have both a usb connection and a parallel connection?
    - Yes

Can I assume that both comps are on the same desk or close enough that a parallel cable will reach 2nd comp if you decided to try that possibility
    - Yes they are.

...and have you tried that yet?
    - No I haven't .
    I asked PC World whether they had a parallel cable ond a switch which I can hard wire. Their reaction was the same as of the Biblical shopkeepers who were offered the coins which were in circulation 400 years before their time. "Everyone now is wireless ..." the sales girl said, "you won't find a parallel cable in shops these days."

My second printer will not do a lot of printing.

But, why not just enable printer sharing and just turn on the 1st comp when you anticipate printing from the 2nd comp?

I don't know much about print sharing but I am given to understand I will need network cards for both printers and then wireless enabling card or adapter for the printer and the second computer !!! (plus fitting£££!!!) It sounds expensive and horrendous!!!

At present both computers are connected to AOL router via hard wire(ethernet). The router has spare ports which can be used for additional computers. Can I use them to connect the printer to the two computers?
    Or is the AOL internet router only for internet?
    regards
    Power Bank

Actually, with the router, you can hardwire in lots of items.
    Including a print server or a whatever you wish, as long it has nic capabilities.

Example:

That girl at PC World either didn't understand your question or is a bozo;parallel printer cables are readily available.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...arallel+cables

Setting up a basic home network is actually rather easy. Windows comes with a Network Setup Wizard...usually found by going: start>all programs>accessories>communications> Network Setup Wizard. This wizard will take you step by step thru the set up. There are only a few steps...it's not that complicated...you can do it.

Here is a guide that shows the step by step dialogue boxes that you will see. It has a different way to get to the network wizard, but either way is fine:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p/homenet.mspx

You said in your first post that both comps are already connected to your router and can both get online...so you will not need to buy any more devices.

You will need to install your printer software on the 2nd comp.

You will like being able to access whatever files & folders that you designate on both comps, as well as being able to share one printer.

Let us know if you run into any snags.
    Foxconn A7DA-S AM2/AM2+
    Enermax 620w psu
    LG sata dvd/cd drive
    WD 80Gig sata..XP Pro
    WD 160 ide..Linux Ubuntu

Lightbulb Yes it worked BUT one question bothers me...

Wow! Just done it and obtained a print using the first computer and also managed to obtain another print using the second computer.
    I loaded the HP software on both the computers first. Then employed the networking wizard as you advised and both my computers now share the printer and the files. So a million thanx for the guidance.

Now an important question arises for me since I am a novice at this.
    Q. Can an uninvited outsider gain unauthorized access to my files using his own computer because my computers are now networking? Or is it that networking will not compromise my security?

Power Bank

Super...well done..!!

No...someone at an outside computer will not be able to access your files just because your comps are networked together in a home set up.

There is a way, however, that a person can set up their comp to access it from the internet, let's say from work, but that requires certain other specific settings to be enabled and what you did was definitely not that.
    Foxconn A7DA-S AM2/AM2+
    Enermax 620w psu
    LG sata dvd/cd drive
    WD 80Gig sata..XP Pro
    WD 160 ide..Linux Ubuntu

Thumbs up

Thanx stevejr for a prompt reply.
    Once again many many thanx to everybody here for your excellent guidance. I learnt so much in the process of achieving my final goal. I find it quite amusing that I was Googling away like mad and also visiting computer shops for this gadget or that widget - when the solution was right under my nose. XP's built in wizard did it all with a few clicks!! It is true "Knowledge is power"

Regads to everybody

Power Bank

I'm glad the set up went smoothly.

You need to mark this thread "resolved" by looking right above your first post and click on 'thread tools' and choose "mark this thread resolved".

I like to read "resolved" threads because I know that I will read of a problem and read how it was 'resolved'...a real good learning tool.
    Foxconn A7DA-S AM2/AM2+
    Enermax 620w psu
    LG sata dvd/cd drive
    WD 80Gig sata..XP Pro
    WD 160 ide..Linux Ubuntu

Thread Information