DVDs won't play

Thread: DVDs won't play

DVDs won't play

Hi

Please help any1 i have an Acer TravelMate 4200 laptop MS XP Professional (SP3) 1.66GHz, 0.99Gb of RAM, Intel Centrino Duo 1.66GHz, 120Gb Hard drive.
    Whenever i play DVDs the sound is always choppy and i can't thus really watch the DVD! I have closed any programs that could interfere with the playback but no luck. I have also changed the colour quality and resolution etc but no help.
    Help of any kind would be most welcome.

cheers..

What program are you using to watch the DVDs?

Try VLC.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I have tried VLC, WMP and Nero all give same problem. The visuals seem to be showing fine but the sound is choppy as though its on slow motion.

Updated audio driver no change. also updated Media Accelerator no luck. Don't know if this makes a difference but i notice DVDs copied play ok (just slight chopping of sound but bearable) while rental/new DVDs don't play ok. I wouldn't think region has anything to do with it cause i can see the pictures.

Sounds like a buffering problem. Have you tried raising your virtual memory space? Doesn't always work, but worth a try.

Tried that too... again no luck.

Did you make sure that the DVD drive is set to UDMA in device manager and NOT PIO?

Check the IDE/ATA controller settings.

This sounds very familiar to a problem I had with an Acer Aspire and I tried all the above. The optical drive fitted was Matsu****a (cheaper Panasonic). The drive was about a year old and developed similar problems as you are having.

I could not resolve this issue and replaced it with a tray loading Lg with same spec for about 28 Pounds Sterling around $45. Works Fantastic.

Check to see if your drive is a Matsu****a, seems Acer fit these to most of there Laptops.

Not the best option but worked for me.

Matsu****a definitely deserves it's name (****)
    It must be the worst optical drive maker ever.

I have a Pioneer and also checked the IDE/ATA control settings, all's well in that area.

Thread Information