Should System Restore Monitor Second Hard Drive?

Thread: Should System Restore Monitor Second Hard Drive?

Should System Restore Monitor Second Hard Drive?

I have installed a second hard drive, configured as slave, which I only use for backup purposes for my master (system) hard drive.

I notice that System Restore is monitoring this second hard drive.

Is this necessary or should I turn off monitoring of this drive ?

From XP's help file:
    System Restore overview
    System Restore is a component of Windows XP Professional that you can use to restore your computer to a previous state, if a problem occurs, without losing your personal data files (such as Microsoft Word documents, browsing history, drawings, favorites, or e-mail). System Restore monitors changes to the system and some application files, and it automatically creates easily identified restore points. These restore points allow you to revert the system to a previous time. They are created daily and at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed). You can also create and name your own restore points at any time.
    I disable system restore on drives other then C.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Note: If you disable System Restore on a non-system drive and then install programs on that same non-system drive . . . attempting to do a System Restore under this scenario could place the system in a very inconsistent state.

Thanks for your replies.

I have no programs or system files installed that run from the slave drive so I will turn off the system restore monitoring of that drive as Steve suggested.

Cheers

John

System restore also tries to monitor external hard drives and even some flash drives. Make sure to disable it on those as well.

Thread Information