Programs freezing upon keyboard input

Thread: Programs freezing upon keyboard input

Programs freezing upon keyboard input

I recently ordered this HP laptop and have been very happy with it despite some annoyances. One of those annoyances is the fact that at random times, whatever program I am running will freeze upon any keyboard input; this of course happens most frequently in Firefox 3 when I am searching Google, surfing, etc. I had though that this was isolate to the browser so had been searching for support for Firefox, but recently discovered that when running Steam, any gaming software, even Word, that the program would freeze the second I used any key on the keyboard for whatever reason.

Upon restarting whichever program and retrying keyboard input, the same thing happens over and over again until I get frustrated and restart the computer, after which everything is fine.

Is this a glitch with Vista? Is it fixable? Or is this something else? It doesn't seem like any virus or malware I've ever seen, plus I am a subscriber to Microsoft OneCare and this is a brand new computer with which I have been very careful when surfing the internet.

Also on an unrelated topic (since I don't want to make another post about it immediately after posting the first problem), would anyone happen to know why my icons will not stay where I move them after I restart the computer? I separate my icons by type (i.e. gaming applications, business, computer utilities, etc) to find what I need more easily, and separate the different groups. But when I restart they are all grouped and locked into the grid on the left side when Windows boots. This has never happened to me before, even in Vista. Does it have anything to do with the fact I am using a Hitachi "32 LCD HDTV as a second monitor via HDMI?

Any help would be appreciated, and my current system specs are in my signature.

Thanks,
    R.
    Last edited by ryanman; June 16th, 2009 at 08:11 AM.
    Acer Aspire Ethos 8951g-9600
    Intel Core i7-2630QM
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    16 GB RAM
    GeForce GT555m

So you reboot the pc and everything is fine. At what point does it start freezing again? I'm going to guess it starts when you try to bring it out of sleep mode or hibernation.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Yes, everything is fine after a reboot, but give it a day or so and it will begin again. I have found myself restarting the computer multiple times due to this problem ever since I received it.

Honestly, it doesn't go into sleep mode or hibernation that much. Normally when I am not using it i.e. when I am at work, asleep, running errands etc, I come back to find it is just on screen saver mode. Although in power options it is supposed to go into sleep mode. I never know when it's going to go into sleep mode, although it's supposed to be two hours. Normally the power button's light blinks and the internet is turned off and I have to reconnect to the dsl.

But it doesn't really happen after bringing it out of sleep or hibernation or screen saver. It just kind of happens randomly.
    Intel Core i7-2630QM
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    16 GB RAM
    GeForce GT555m

I have a hunch the factory installed antivirus is the problem.

What is it?

I use and subscribe to Microsoft OneCare.
    Intel Core i7-2630QM
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    16 GB RAM
    GeForce GT555m

Any new insights?

I'm about to destroy this brand new laptop.
    Intel Core i7-2630QM
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    16 GB RAM
    GeForce GT555m

It might be a corrupted keyboard driver of combo keyboard/touchpad driver. What happens if you connect a regular desktop keyboard to the laptop? Does that still work when the built-in keyboard stops working?

I'm not sure I have a separate keyboard, but will look in my storage and see if I can dig one up so I can try that and get back to you guys.
    Intel Core i7-2630QM
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    16 GB RAM
    GeForce GT555m

New USB Key Boards are about $20 I think.

Thread Information