Taskbar toolbar (Desktop) - suddenly slow

Thread: Taskbar toolbar (Desktop) - suddenly slow

Taskbar toolbar (Desktop) - suddenly slow

I like to have the Desktop Toolbar visible on the Taskbar because it gives me quick access to the desktop icons without having to move windows. The toolbar I'm referring to is what you get when you right-click on the Taskbar and choose Toolbars -> Desktop

Recently, it suddenly got very slow to load. Normally, when I clicked on it, it would immediately pop up a list of the desktop icons and I could choose which program I wanted to launch. Now when I click on it, the frame pops up but it takes ~ 15 seconds for any of the icons to load. That makes it essentially useless because it's easier and faster then to just find another way to launch the program.

I can't figure out why this happened. It's my work computer, so I haven't installed any software that started this, but our IT dept is often pushing updates, etc. But I have a second machine that doesn't experience this - the Desktop toolbar pops up right away.

I've tried removing and readding it but no luck. Anyone have other ideas?

P.S. This is a Dell Precision 390 running XP Pro SP2
    My equipment:

Acer Aspire AX3300-U1322 Desktop (sorry didn't build this time!), 4Gb RAM, AMD Athlon II quad core CPU

Try this little tweak:

Windows XP Icon Cache

Are you experiencing icon lag, while browsing thru all your Start icons and programs? Do you have a smaller menu delay and your icons need ages to load? No need to give up.

Just delete the IconCache.db file from your profile directory (usually /Documents and Settings/Username/Local Settings/Application Data).
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thanks for the fast answer Steve! Unfortunately, I'm still seeing that delay in the Desktop Toolbar.

I should add that the machine is not slow or laggy in any other way. Start menu is working just fine.
    My equipment:

Acer Aspire AX3300-U1322 Desktop (sorry didn't build this time!), 4Gb RAM, AMD Athlon II quad core CPU

you right-click on the Taskbar and choose Toolbars -> Desktop
    If you do it a second time right after the first time - is it much better?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Not sure I follow. Do what a second time? Do you mean uncheck the Desktop toolbar and recheck it?

If so, then yes, I tried it but it still lags as before.
    My equipment:

NickC--You say this occurred "Recently". Did you add or subtract any hard/software at the time? Did you update Windows or another program?
    You could try a System Restore to a time before the problem started.

Or a possible workaround. Rather than use the Desktop Toolbar, use the Quick Launch area over to the left of the Taskbar next to Start. Once you establish a Quick Launch area (right click on Taskbar|Toolbars|Quick Launch), you can drag and drop most any item (shortcuts, etc.) from the Desktop into it. If that puts too many items in the Taskbar, you Unlock the Taskbar and slide the Separator (seven vertical dimples) over to the left and leave only a few Quick Launch shortcuts showing. You access the others, which have been forced into a hidden vertical menu, by clicking on the Chevron.
    Then Lock the Taskbar.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

There were no hardware/software changes that *I* did. As I said above, this is my work computer, so there are updates that are being pushed regularly by our IT dept, but I don't have a distinct time when this Desktop Toolbar started lagging. And I also have a second work machine which gets the same updates but does not have this lag, so I didn't think a particular update was to blame.

And being a work machine, I can't do things like system restore very easily without messing up a bunch of other stuff.

Yes, of course, using Quick Launch is an alternative. I do use the Quick Launch, but I also like the Desktop Toolbar because I use it for the lesser used apps. i.e., Quick Launch for me is for the very frequently used programs only. The Desktop Toolbar is also useful because it gives you a quick link to the whole machine - you get access to My Computer with cascading menus to all subfolders.

Seems like one of those weird things that might not have an easy answer. For now, one workaround is to add a My Computer toolbar. That gives me the cascading menus including subfolders, and for whatever reason it does not lag. I can also use Windows Key + D to quickly toggle to the Desktop and back.
    Last edited by NickC; June 16th, 2009 at 04:58 PM.
    My equipment:

I resolved this issue for a user in my company

I was able to resolve this same issue for a user in my company. Make sure none of your desktop icons have a missing icon picture, this was the issue for my user and once I replaced the icon it worked like it should.

If they all have a picture then do the following to find the culprit, Make a new folder on your C:\ drive and name it shortcuts or something. Right click on your taskbar and select Toolbars - New Toolbar and point to the folder you just created. One at a time copy and paste your desktop icon into the new folder and test out your taskbar shortcut once it locks up you will have found the icon causing the issue. Replace or delete the icon if it is not needed.

Thanks for the update!

hrphlps: thanks for the info! For now this problem got eliminated because they reimaged our machines with 64-bit XP. If it happens again, I'll be sure to look at your solution!
    My equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by hrphlps View Post
    I was able to resolve this same issue for a user in my company. Make sure none of your desktop icons have a missing icon picture, this was the issue for my user and once I replaced the icon it worked like it should.

If they all have a picture then do the following to find the culprit, Make a new folder on your C:\ drive and name it shortcuts or something. Right click on your taskbar and select Toolbars - New Toolbar and point to the folder you just created. One at a time copy and paste your desktop icon into the new folder and test out your taskbar shortcut once it locks up you will have found the icon causing the issue. Replace or delete the icon if it is not needed.
    Perfect! Thanks hrphlps, I had a user on Windows 7 64 bit with this issue, I couldn't find a shortcut with an icon missing, but by eliminating half the shortcuts at a time into a new folder and checking the toolbar, I eventually found the culprit.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dnasanders View Post
    Perfect! Thanks hrphlps, I had a user on Windows 7 64 bit with this issue, I couldn't find a shortcut with an icon missing, but by eliminating half the shortcuts at a time into a new folder and checking the toolbar, I eventually found the culprit.

Dan
    I created an account just to add that this was exactly the problem for me as well (i.e. the link with an icon problem). Thanks!

Thread Information