Cursor is disappearing when working in Word
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cursor is disappearing when working in Word

Cursor is disappearing when working in Word

When I am working in a word document sometimes my cursor just disappears and when I type the cursor isn't coming back. But when I use page up to go a couple of pages back it does work again, but when I go down a couple of pages again it's gone again, so it blinks and then is gone, and it doesn't matter if I hit enter or mouse the mouse or whatever, it won't come back.
    It also work when I start a new document.

Do anyone know about this problem and have a sollution? I have a PIII pc with 128 Mbyte of RAM and using word '97 on windows 95 pc.

Thanks.
    Kind Regards,

- Dirk -

One suggestion:

If You have the Intellipoint or similar mouse driver, check the mouse settings. Under Visibility, there is usually a setting to "Hide mouse while typing". If this exists, remove the Check mark from the box. This will make the mouse visible at all times.

It's not the mouse which is lost, it's the cursor, just like the one you see when you answer a reply, or post a new toppic. Just the cursor which shows you where you are typing. This one disappears sometimes and you don't know where you are, unless you type some characters you see the letters coming but no cursor anymore. For more details see my first post above.

It doesn't occur when I disable spelling checker while typing, is there some kind of patch?

[This message has been edited by Dirk_nl (edited 03-22-2000).]
    Kind Regards,

- Dirk -

Question SAME PROBLEM

I am having the same problem. It isn't the mouse pointer that disappears but the cursor when typing in word! I have been downloading the Office updates to try to fix the problem with no luck so far... Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I installed the office updates and the user said it is better now... I can't say it solved our problem but right now things are working better and normally.

I used Windows Update and followed the Office Update link at the top of the page to update my Office installation.

Best of Luck,
    Jeneral22

Hi Dirk

Check that it's not just a video card problem. Try draging the window so that the place where the cursor should be is off the screen, then drag it back.

Does the cursor come back?

If so then you have a problem with your video card, bad video RAM, over hot video processor, etc. Try updating the video driver for a start. BF

Looks like an old post brought back by Jeneral22.

Oops! I need to look at dates BF

I just happened to notice it.
    It appeared too quickly for the number of posts.
    Nice to know about these things, though.
    Dirk will probably be happy that his post was finally answered four years later. lol...

Nix is offline Aka: Nix*, NNiixx, Nix23
    Originally posted by oldhermit
    Dirk will probably be happy that his post was finally answered four years later. lol...
    He probably couldn't reply any more as he couldn't see where to type. LOL

Lightbulb OOPS!!

I didn't even realize what I had done... I was just happy someone else had the same problem. I use this site constantly because I am a non-computer major who had the entire computer departments responsibility dumped on me and frankly I don't know enough about this stuff to solve most problems. I truly appreciate all your knowledge and comments even if they are only pointing out what a dipsH*t I am... How embarrassing... Thank god you don't know my real name...

thanks,
    Brendon

The mods haven't shown any concern, so don't worry about it.
    It's happened before, and will likely happen again.
    It's just as easy to start your own thread, then you get exclusive attention to your own problem... Hopefully quicker, though... lol.

Brendon.
    Don't be fooled.
    We know your real name.
    We know your address.

We'll be by tomorrow for dinner.

Ask all the questions you need.
    We've all been there and done that.
    And, alas...we DON'T know your real name.

Smile FYI What Worked!!

I followed the above advice and updated (actually changed) the video driver and now the disappearing cursor is no longer an issue. I am not using the correct driver just whatever WinXP loaded by default. I am sure that this driver isn't giving the full functionality of the video card but since it is a business computer and high end graphics aren't needed I am happy for now.

Take Care and thanks for the help,
    Jeneral22

Another note...

There's a setting on your PC (used to be in Win98 anyway) somewhere about "graphics acceleration". If you changed that setting, you could also get your cursor back in Word.

Anybody know the comparitive setting? I don't need it. Just thought it would be nice to have for future finders of this Q.

Thread Information