[RESOLVED] Programs in Startup (System Tray) missing

Thread: [RESOLVED] Programs in Startup (System Tray) missing

Resolved [RESOLVED] Programs in Startup (System Tray) missing

Hi All,

I noticed yesterday or the day before, that my HotSync, Webshots and my USB Sharing icons were missing from the system tray. I tried to sync my Palm Pilot and it wouldn't so that's when I noticed that those three were missing.

This morning I went to 'msconfig' and saw that the HotSync, USB Sharing and Webshots line items were checked on the 'Startup' tab. I also went to Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and noticed that I didn't have anything there so I added HotSyncManager, Webshots and USB Sharing.

I rebooted and got a page fault blue screen. I rebooted again and my system came up but it still does not have those three icons showing up in the system tray so I've manually added them.

I can't figure out what's up. I was going to do a Windows system restore back to an earlier date but the earlier date was May 12 and it griped about the fact that there wasn't a 'J' drive so that drive wouldn't be restored. I believe the J drive is my SIIG USB Switch unit (for the two printers).

Any ideas?

I've got WinXP Prof (HP Media Center PC m7470n)
    Cable connection with wireless Linksys router
    Trend Micro
    Windows Defender
    Spybot Search & Destroy

Thanks,
    Nancy
    Last edited by Patience; June 2nd, 2009 at 09:43 AM.

Patience--To what part of the SysTray do you refer? Right side next to the clock or left side next to Start?
    Do you have other icons showing, but just not those three?
    I do not believe you should have those three items starting at boot from two locations. That may have caused the blue screen. Take them out of the Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder.
    Are these programs still listed in Start|All Programs? If so, at worst, as a temporary workaround, you could use them from there.
    Waiting for your reply.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Hi Jim,
    I thought the system tray was the section to the bottom right next to the clock? That's where the icons used to appear. The other icons down there are Trend Micro, LAN, Windows Messenger and Volume Control.

Your 2nd question - are the programs still listed in Start|All Programs? I have a question myself. Under Start|All Programs, there are programs that have an icon that looks like a folder behind another square box (like what I thought was a standard program icon). In addition, there are actual icons associated to applications (i.e. Internet Explorer which has the 'e' icon).

How come the difference between the two since they are all listed under Start|All Programs? Also (another question that I just thought of) - what folder is associated with the icons that end up in the system tray? I thought it was the Startup folder. Now I'm real confused.

Palm is showing with the standard icon but Webshots and USB Sharing have their own unique icons.

Thanks,
    Nancy
    Last edited by Patience; June 2nd, 2009 at 04:02 PM.

Patience--Perhaps help for the missing icons.
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/trayicons.htm
    Yes, the Systems Tray is next to the clock at the bottom right. (But it now is officially the Notification Area.) I was just checking to be sure we were on the same wave length.
    As far as the different icons are concerned, you can assign any icon you want to the programs in the All Programs list. Right click on a program name|Properties|Change Icon|If not already showing, Browse to the location of the icon you want--probably the icon for the .exe file for that program in its Program File folder|
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Hi Jim,
    I went to the link you provided and brought up my services window however SSDP was already disabled. I 'enabled' it and then clicked apply and even did a reboot but those icons were still missing so I went ahead and did a System Restore back to 5/12 and - lo and behold - the icons are there now. Weird. The only thing I can think of is that there were several 'upates' showing up on the System Record calendar and I wonder if that had anything to do with it. The updates were 'Software Distribution Service 3.0.

In any event, I'm back to 'normal' ;-)

Thank you so much,
    Nancy

Thread Information