IE8 How Remove Favorites Folder From Favorites - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IE8 How Remove Favorites Folder From Favorites

IT WORKED! THAT DAMN THING IS GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by DeP View Post
    You should have a template for IE8, this comes with IE8.
    In gpedit.msc, try View > Filter in there UNselect all checkboxes.

If filter is off and you still have no template for Internet Explorer try to add it.
    Rightclick Administrative Templates and select Add/Remove Template.
    In the next window click Add and select inetres.adm and close the window.
    WOW...it worked and the favorites bar is now grayed out in tools just like you said. YOU are really smart! That is a complicated procedure that no one I know would be able to do it. I will save these directions to help a family member. They call me from time to time and ask questions. I mostly say, "you got me!?" Thanks again. If you are not a computer programmer...you should be!

Glad to hear you finally got rid of it.
    Small nuissances tend to grow, don't they?

Boy seems like a big pain to get rid of it!!

I have MyIE2 and i have a "favourites bar" also,i can enable or disable it (If its disabled i dont see it)

I have it disabled

Glad ya got things worked out bud!

Talking Easy way

It was easy....
    1. right click on favorite star. Uncheck Favorites Bar.

2. I changed the name of "Favorites Folder" to "Shoping". No more Favorite Folder. You can change it to allmost anything.

Glad ya got things take care of!!!

Welcome to Vdr

Smile

You guys are trying way too hard (which happens to me as well when in the midst of serious programming).

Simple solution:
    From IE8, Click View->Toolbars->Favorites Bar (make sure it is unchecked)

and Whaaalaaah! Favorites bar gone for good.

Advertising removed by moderator. If you do it again you'll lose your membership.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Evidently that does not always work either Ateraan, as it's been suggested before and none have been able to make the simple solution work.

Also please note this thread started by OP is over a year old.

I have not read every post in this thread, but rwinegar was asking how to get rid of Favorites folder within Favorites. I think rwinegar meant how to remove the Favorites Bar.
    The Favorites Bar is new to IE8 and different from the Favorites folder.
    Ateraan is correct about how to get rid of the Favorites Bar.
    The population of the Favorites Bar are the links within the folder called Favorites Bar in the Favorites folder. Yes, it is more or less the old Links subfolder. You may not be able to delete the folder, but you can stop the Favorites Bar from appearing in toolbars per Ateraan' suggestion.
    (I bet you can remove all the links within the Favorites Bar folder leaving only an empty shell.)
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Quote Originally Posted by Ateraan
    From IE8, Click View->Toolbars->Favorites Bar (make sure it is unchecked)

and Whaaalaaah! Favorites bar gone for good.
    Yup which is how you do it my MyIE2 also

Welcome to the site!

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Right you both are, but that still doesn't change the fact that this thread is over a year old and OP probably has moved on, on this subject.

Go me!

I searched half a dozen or so forums for the answer to this, tried everything they all said, and nothing worked.

Half of the respondants (on all forums) were idiots trying to answer how to remove the "favorites bar" instead of how to remove the "favorites bar FOLDER" from favorites list (bookmarks). That's like if I ask you how to make chocolate milk and you say: Find a cow, pull on its udders, and TADA! YOU HAVE MILK. /rant

But then I figured it out even though I have zero ability at such things. And I'll post it here cause it's the first thing that comes up when I google:

"remove "favorites bar folder" ie8

/rant

Anyways, some guy said it's basically like the old Links folder.. Then I noticed when you try to delete it, it said "Are you sure you want to delete Links?" and if you try to create a folder named "Links" it says one already exists.

So this is what I did:

1. Right click the "Favorites bar" folder
    2. Click properties
    3. Click hidden (so far what other people said, but it didn't work)
    4. Right click the "Favorites bar" folder again
    5. Click rename
    6. Type in Links

And it went away.

And so far it isn't back.

Suck it smart people.

Even though you stopped caring half a year ago.

And even though your answer got me most of the way there...but still how did nobody get this solved on the billions of internet sites in the world.

Ok fine yeah most smart people are too smart to use crappy microsoft products like IE.

But...um...damn...well...why you guys gotta ruin my victory!

Anyways, at least top google result now has a working answer.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by omgididit View Post
    I searched half a dozen or so forums for the answer to this, tried everything they all said, and nothing worked.

Half of the respondants (on all forums) were idiots trying to answer how to remove the "favorites bar" instead of how to remove the "favorites bar FOLDER" from favorites list (bookmarks). That's like if I ask you how to make chocolate milk and you say: Find a cow, pull on its udders, and TADA! YOU HAVE MILK. /rant

But then I figured it out even though I have zero ability at such things. And I'll post it here cause it's the first thing that comes up when I google:

"remove "favorites bar folder" ie8

/rant

Anyways, some guy said it's basically like the old Links folder.. Then I noticed when you try to delete it, it said "Are you sure you want to delete Links?" and if you try to create a folder named "Links" it says one already exists.

So this is what I did:

1. Right click the "Favorites bar" folder
    2. Click properties
    3. Click hidden (so far what other people said, but it didn't work)
    4. Right click the "Favorites bar" folder again
    5. Click rename
    6. Type in Links

And it went away.

And so far it isn't back.

Suck it smart people.

Even though you stopped caring half a year ago.

And even though your answer got me most of the way there...but still how did nobody get this solved on the billions of internet sites in the world.

Ok fine yeah most smart people are too smart to use crappy microsoft products like IE.

But...um...damn...well...why you guys gotta ruin my victory!

Anyways, at least top google result now has a working answer.
    THIS!!!

Windows Vista and IE9 here, and it works like a charm!!!!

You are the man.

Kudos to you and thank you.

Welcome to the site,im glad you found an answer quickly

Please feel free to hang around... We are a pretty happy bunch here!

what is failed ot be mentioned here is you are not getting rid of tha folder as it is still there with a new name

so if a person already has tha folders they want and do not want a new one they will have to rename tha folders to some thing they liked or already use and move everything to tha new one that was tha favorites bar folder you renamed

example -
    i have two folders in my list
    A
    B
    i do not want any more...so just to rename tha annoying favorites bar folder isnt enougth because there i will have
    A
    B
    C (favorites bar folder i renamed and set to hidden or whatever else was suggested)

i dont want a new folder so this really doesnt work

so what i did was move all from B to tha new C and renamed to B.....so it is still tha same folder that will not go away but with a new name so now every time i right click one it does not appear because it already is there

just sayin this fact should be added to tha solution if a person is not wanting to add a new folder at all

also i am so far from any kind of tech person i couldnt even pretend to be tech savy in a magical fantasy land

Thread Information