Graphics Card Fans Starts and Stops

Thread: Graphics Card Fans Starts and Stops

Graphics Card Fans Starts and Stops

New ati hd 3650 installed with latest driver from sapphire website and the fan starts and stops every 10 secs or so.

Display is fine, is the fan knackered or is that normal ?

It may be normal, many fans are thermostatically controlled. It would be a good idea to monitor your GPU temp though:

PC Wizard
    Nick.

Thanks for the reply but i think i might have made some progress. I unisntall the ati cataylst program and just left vista to update the driver. The fan is now purring away like it should. It aint quiet but not many stock one are.

Actually, that doesn't surprise me at all, I've never been a fan of Catalyst one bit
    Nick.

I thought i had it sussed and then the fan started going back into a stop start every 20 seconds or so.

I think it kicks in when things start to get warm after the PC has been switched on for a while.

Going to try card on some other pcs and ask around.

ATI Radeon™ HD 3600 Series - Overview
    http://ati.amd.com/products/Radeonhd3600/index.html

Break-through Efficiency
    ATI Radeon™ HD 3600 Series graphics processors deliver break-through efficiency from cutting-edge technology and new energy-saving features that can help lower your energy costs and enable cool, quiet PCs.

ATI PowerPlay™ Technology – power saving features that reduce power consumption at idle or during low-usage....

ATI PowerPlay™

Dynamically manage power efficiency and take control of your performance with AMD’s revolutionary ATI PowerPlay™ power management technology delivering high performance features when needed and conserving power when the demand on the graphics processor is low. This industry-leading technology dramatically reduces the power consumption of ATI Radeon™ graphics family of products for the optimal balance between performance and power for break-through energy efficiency.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Try rolling back the driver to the previous version and see if that solves things.

I still think you should monitor the GPU temp and see if there is any correlation between the temperature and the fan speed.
    Nick.

Thread Information