No sound, tried everything

Thread: No sound, tried everything

No sound, tried everything

OK, I recently put together a new build (see signature block) . . . have had a few problems but have resolved all but one.

I cannot seem to get sound to work. I previously had a 5.1 speaker system working OK. Then I did the (re)build of my PC, and I haven't been able to get sound to work at all.

I tried headphones first -- nothing. Then I reconnected my speakers, and -- nothing. I've gone to the Windows Volume Control center and made sure nothing was muted. I've thoroughly checked devices and drivers to make sure everything is OK.

I do have onboard sound on my new motherboard, but I disabled it in BIOS when I was trying to use my Creative Labs Audigy SE sound card.

I removed the sound card and tried to use the onboard sound, making sure I re-enabled it in BIOS. I keep re-checking Device Manager and the Volume Control center, and I have also checked volume controls on both the headphones and on the speakers.

I've tried putting the color-coded plugs on both the headphones and the speaker system not only in the correctly-colored sockets, but also others (i.e. pink-to-pink, pink-to-green and vice versa, green to black, black to green, etc. etc. etc.) ..... nothing. Nada.

I'm hard-pressed to think of any other possibilities. Hopefully, maybe someone out there can suggest something I haven't tried. For now, I'm completely baffled.

Thanks in advance,
    - Dave G.
    Antec 900 tower case / ThermalTake ToughPower 750w / CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ cooler / Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 mobo / AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE CPU / 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR1866 / 2x WD 640GB SATA3 HDDs / Seagate 3TB GoFlex External HDD / 2x Sony Optiarc 40x DVD-RWs / Sapphire Radeon HD6770 1GB GDDR5 video card / Logitech Illuminated Keybd / Logitech M305 mouse / LG 22" flat panel monitor / Win 7 Pro 64 / Office 2010 / BitDefender 2012 Pro AV / NovaStor Backup
    ~ Built by ... me ~

Did you disable the onboard sound in the BIOS?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...A-MA790XT-UD4P

(Re)read the 4th paragraph in my original post

- Dave G.

On board would sound better to me.

Did you go into Sound effects/Sound Manager and make the speaker adjustments as to what pin does what?

Yep. at this time, I have the speaker cords connected, black to black and green to green, and the diagram in the audio management GUI shows that as being correct.

As Jack Tripper would say on Three's Company: "I'm so con-fuuuuzed!!"

OK, here's what the GUI labels are for the associated, color-coded plug sockets (as-seen on the back of the PC):

- Upper Left: Grey = "Speaker Out"
    - Upper Middle: Black = "Speaker Out"
    - Upper Right: Orange = "Line Out (RealTek HD Audio output)"

Bottom Left: Pink = "Speaker Out"
    Bottom Middle: Green = "Speaker Out"
    Bottom Right: Blue = "Line In"

For the record, my 5.1 speaker system only has two color-coded plugs: green and black.

Now, when I change the socket into which I put a plug, a small window comes up, titled "Connected Device." It asks, "Which device did you plug in?"
    The answer choices are,
    - Line In
    - Mic In
    - Headphone
    - Line Out
    - Rear Speaker Out
    - Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out
    - Side Speaker Out

I've tried most, if not all, combos of color-coded plugs and sockets. Not sure how many different choices I've tried when it asks "Which device did you plug in?" (What is it -- about 210 total combos to try??)

My brains are quickly getting scrambled, and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to create a cross-selection chart to keep track of the combos I try, including the choices on the "Which device did you plug in?" query box.

Sigh . . .

I had hopes.
    Hope some know what to do and posts.

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the driver? Does the sound card show in the device manager? I would zero in on one card and work with that one only. If you're working with the on board card, remove the Creative Labs Audigy card completely-driver and all.Then using the motherboard drivers CD reinstall the driver for the on board card. If that don't work, try reversing the cards. Also make sure the driver is for XP SP3. You can get the latest driver from the manufacturers web site.
    The true test of character is not how much we
    know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do

In Device Manager, under Sound/Video/Game controllers, I have:

- ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01
    - Legacy Audio Drivers
    - Realtek High Definition Audio

I had already deleted the driver for the Creative Labs card. Also, what did you mean by reversing the cards? I've already tried both the card and the onboard sound, each time with the other disabled and uninstalled.

And yes, I have the latest driver(s) installed.

Not sure there's anything left to try, but thank you for the reply.

I'm posting a screen shot of my Device manager. Please note that I have audio codecs and a Vinyl AC'97 codec combo driver listed. I don't see those on your list. That could be your problem.

Thanks, jmtjet -

For the record, here's a screen shot of my Device Manager:
    (Question: How do you get an image file to actually be displayed in the posting window, instead of just being an attachment link?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

He has posted the picture on a website and is linking it in.

Which I am doing with yours now.

WOW, this is a real mystery as why you're not getting sound. As far as the screen shot. I use www.boomspeed.com as a host site. There are others, I think photobucket is one, but not sure. I have a paid subscription with Boomspeed, but I think they still offer a free subscription. Getting back to the sound problem, when I reinstalled XP pro I ran into a sound problem that I finally solved by installing the Vinyl AC'97 codec combo driver that was right for my system. I see you have two audio devices listed. It might be time to go back to square one and eliminate both of them, focus on one or the other, get the correct driver for your system and reinstall it. Hope this helps.

Well, I just don't know what's going on. I did fresh reinstalls of chipset, sound and other drivers, and got to where I had NO yellow exclamation marks in my Device Manager.

Last night I had the 5.1 speaker system working while I played (simple) games. In the middle of one game, I clicked the mouse pointer within the game; a game object froze, and the sound through the speakers became stuttering static. (It's interesting to note that when I've experienced these crashes/restarts, it's almost always been when I've made a mouse click).

The system immediately came to a halt and restarted itself. When the desktop reloaded, I once again had a system message "The system has recovered from a serious error."

I left the system that way last night; today I came home, got on the computer, and once again I have NO sound.

It seems to me there's a clashing of drivers, but I just don't know for sure. All drivers are now completely up to date, not to mention my hardware is all brand-new or almost new (see my signature block).

I did do an install of SP3 to my Windows XP Pro yesterday, prior to this latest incident . . . have there been problems specifically related to SP3 ?

I feel convinced this is a software/driver issue, and not a hardware issue . . .

- Dave G.
    Antec 900 tower case / ThermalTake ToughPower 750w / CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ cooler / Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 mobo / AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE CPU / 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR1866 / 2x WD 640GB SATA3 HDDs / Seagate 3TB GoFlex External HDD / 2x Sony Optiarc 40x DVD-RWs / Sapphire Radeon HD6770 1GB GDDR5 video card / Logitech Illuminated Keybd / Logitech M305 mouse / LG 22" flat panel monitor / Win 7 Pro 64 / Office 2010 / BitDefender 2012 Pro AV / NovaStor Backup
    ~ Built by ... me ~

Thread Information