Pc constantly restarting-Please Help me??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pc constantly restarting-Please Help me??

Pc constantly restarting-Please Help me??

Hi,
    my brother brought his desktop XP pc to my house, it is a compaq and when i start it up it goes to the black screen where the options are safe mode, safe mode with networking etc etc, no matter what option i choose it still restarts back to the compaq screen and then the black sreen again!
    Has anyone any ideas how to get out of this loop please?

Ps- iv tried the 'Ultimate Boot Cd' and Ok, i ran the cd, ran the 'fitness test' and this message came up:
    'Problem detected on a non hitachi disk drive, please contact your hdd supplier. Disposition cose: 0x70'
    Does this mean the hd is no longer working?

'Problem detected on a non hitachi disk drive, please contact your hdd supplier. Disposition cose: 0x70'
    Does this mean the hd is no longer working?
    Yes. Time to replace the hard drive.

Thanks, is there any way of rescuing any/all of the data on the hd please?
    All answers appreciated!!

Maybe. The easiest way would be slaving the drive into another system.

You could also try a live boot disc like UBCD4Win or Ubuntu Linux, but that takes some work to download/build/burn.

Im keen if anyone can point me towards that?

Which one are you talking about? Like I said, slaving the hard drive into another computer would be the easiest. Do you know how to do that? We don't know you from Adam, so you need to be specific. I have no way of knowing your skill level.

Of the other options, Ubuntu is an easier disc to create, but it's Linux.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/
    http://ubcd4win.com/index.htm

Hi, i see your point! Ok, i haven't ever replaced a h.d or reinstalled windows, the most iv done is replaced ram on a laptop im afraid!
    So if i slaved the h.d into another computer, wouldn't the fact that the h.d is faulty stop it working in another computer please?

The other computer would boot to Windows from its main drive. you would just be looking at the data on the "slave" drive.

In any case, you will need another location to copy the data. If you slave the drive, then you can copy data to the other computer's main hard drive.

The damaged sectors on the drive are affecting Windows booting capability, but they may not affect general operations or the ability to read your data.

Rightio, am i right in thinking that i just add the h.d to another desktop pc that i have? If so, has anyone any links as to how to do it please?

If you have an unused 40 pin connector on your IDE cable (assuming it is an IDE drive), you can connect it to that. Make sure the PC is powered off and unplugged. Also, make sure that the jumpers on BOTH drives are set correctly. Both drives should either be set to CS - CAble Select, or the boot drive should be set as Master (with Slave, if that settings is available), and the other drive should be set as Slave.

Ok thank you all for this help, it is appreciated. Just a question- Is there a way i can 'add' the hd that i am taking out to some sort of external socket of the working pc so's i dont have to take the 'working' pc apart(or take the case apart) if you see what i mean?

For all practical purposes - No.

There may be a computer made that has/had an external 40-pin connector for attaching an internal-mount HDD externally, but I've never seen one. You'll need to open the case to do the deed. Here's a link to a good walkthrough (including video):

http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecente...ve-hard-drive/

Quote Originally Posted by buel10 View Post
    Ok thank you all for this help, it is appreciated. Just a question- Is there a way i can 'add' the hd that i am taking out to some sort of external socket of the working pc so's i dont have to take the 'working' pc apart(or take the case apart) if you see what i mean?
    Not without purchasing additional hardware. The closest thing would be an external USB enclosure.

Thread Information