Will my power supply work with this card?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will my power supply work with this card?

Will my power supply work with this card?

I want to either get a ATI HD 4870 graphics card with 512 or 1 GB. heres the system requirements for it >> http://ati.amd.com/products/Radeonhd...uirements.html I am not sure if my power supply will work with this card. Heres the specs for my power supply. Or you can google more info on system requirements for this card if my link isn't enough info.

Specs for my current power supply.

Brand: Hyena

Model: 500W DR-8500BTX

ATX Form Factor

ATX12V Ver 2.2 Compliant

12v 12cm Ball Bearing Fan

1 x 20 + 4 pins M/B power plug
    1 x 12v 4pin M/B power plug
    1 x PCI-E 5 Pins power plug
    6 x IDE power plug
    1 x SATA power plug
    2 x FDD power plug

Support Latest Intel/AMD

It should just about be OK, though they recommend 600W or above. It won't do any harm to try it though, all that will happen if the PSU is underpowered is that the PC will reboot itself at random intervals. So if that happens you'll know where the prime suspect is.
    Nick.

I am saving up for this video card so I don't really want to spend more on getting a power supply. They are like nearly 200 (aus/nz) dollars for a 600 plus watt one. So I want to keep using my 500 watt one. I've already spent a lot of money on getting a new motherboard, new ram and I am gonna order a new gaming card.

Well, like I say, you won't hurt anything by trying it with your existing PSU. But it's impossible to say for certain that it will definitely be OK, as a lot of those unknown brand PSUs don't actually put6 out what they say on the label
    Nick.

Power Supply Unit Requirement: 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI-Express&#174; << copied and pasted the power supply requirements for the card I want. So compare it to my power supply specs and is it good enough to run it?

Your current psu appears to be lacking the two required 6-pin PCI-E connectors for that card. There are adapters available to convert Molex plugs to 6-pin, but it takes TWO molex connectors per 6-pin adapter....that means you would have to use FOUR of your Molex plugs. If you do not have enough Molexes with your current setup, you could free up some by getting Molex Y-splitters.
    Frankly though, I would opt for a better psu that has the required 6-pin cables. Also, it is a good idea to add 150 to 200 more watts to a "required" psu wattage just so you have a nice buffer. Who's to tell you may want to add more hardware in the near future and would need the extra wattage. If you go with the bare minimum now, you could end up having to buy another psu. That all depends on how much draw your current setup takes, then add in the new card.
    Last edited by bistro; March 13th, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

Read the specs.
    http://www.xionusa.com/Product-power...power_700W.asp

A good ps with what you need.

I took a gander at that link you provided in your original post and it appears that card needs only ONE 6-pin PCI-E, not two as you stated in a subsequent post. Nevertheless, you need a psu with at least one 6-pin PCI-E connector (most new psu's have at least two anyway). You could still go the molex to 6-pin adapter route, but you could possibly run into problems as SuperSparks mentioned. That 700w that Train linked to would be more than enough for your needs...a good choice that would also futureproof your system for awhile.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

Its okay, I found the card on a really cheap site that was 100 dollars cheaper then the site I was gonna get my card from. So I will look for a good power supply and get that. PS I need to be 100 percent sure my motherboard can handle this card. >> card specs

* PCI Express&#174; based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
    * 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express&#174; power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
    * Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
    * Minimum 1GB of system memory
    * Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
    * DVD playback requires DVD drive
    * Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
    * For a complete ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (included) are required

My motherboard specs >> http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=ZxpFvIAYWrjI5NY9

Okay I found this 650 watt on a online PC shop for a really cheap price here are the specs (sorry for the long link it was the only site I could find that had its specs on it)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...OMOBOX:NEWLIST Need to know if this power supply is suitable for that card so I can buy it.

After reading the winpower specs table
    http://www.hec-group.com.tw/retail_p...in_plus_power/

Go with the 700.

I wanna get that 650 watt one its more cheaper. But will it work with the card?

I do not like the 12V output.

By the way, the ps is very crucial for a long lasting computer. And Most of us hate to see folks go cheap and have their ps go out and take out the mobo, cpu and who knows what else. Yes, they end up buying a brand new computer!

I absolutely agree. Never go for a cheap, unbranded PSU, you won't have saved anything at all when it packs up and takes your mobo, CPU and hard drive with it. It certainly doesn't happen every time, but we've seen it happen often enough. And I'd really advise against buying computer stuff on Ebay too, there are just too many dodgy components around.

My favourite brands of PSU are; Tagan, OCZ, Thermaltake, Enermax, Hiper, Xion, PC Power & Cooling.
    Nick.

Thanks for the heads up. I will look for a good brand one then. and post the specs of it here before I get it.

Thread Information