HP Laptop: USB ports not working?

Thread: HP Laptop: USB ports not working?

HP Laptop: USB ports not working?

Hey, got a little problem here...

My USB drives have been working perfectly fine for a long while now. Until my USB ports stopped working [apparently?] It might be software or something im not thinking of... but last night my mouse was working intermittently, while working windows would suddenly make the High-low noise like a device had been removed, and then a few seconds later make the low-high noise like one had been added, and my mouse would resume working. Well today, it was working for a while and then made the high-low noise and my mouse and laptop cooling pad are both not functioning. Im hoping my USB ports arent just broken... any ideas?
    All Your Base Are Belong To Us

/* this is my desktop, currently not in use.
    Windows XP
    ASRock AGP/PCIE Motherboard.
    Intel E4400 Processor, 2 GHz, Core2 Duo
    Geforce 7800 GS CO 256mb AGP
    Corsair 2gb DDR2 PC5400? 2 sticks
    ULTRA X2 750W Modular Power Supply

[C] 127 GB Drive, currently 22GB free. Main Windows
    [E] 127 GB Drive, currently 9GB Free. Backup Windows
    [F] 250 GB SATA Drive. Storage
    */

First thing I'd try is uninstalling all of the USB devices listed under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" in Device Manager, and then reboot. Windows should automatically go through several of its "Discovered New Hardware" routines and re-setup all of the USB devices for you.

If that doesn't solve the problem, as you mentioned it may well be the hardware itself.

Fred Langa, "Windows Secrets":
    Mechanical flexing of a USB plug and/or socket can crack the soldered electrical connections inside the connectors. Depending on how the device or cable is inserted into the socket, the cracked connections may or may not make contact and conduct electricity, which is why this can appear as an intermittent problem. (USB flash drives are also prone to this kind of connector failure).

Once the solder connections are broken, there is no practical way to fix them. Your best bet is to prevent the problem from the start. Whenever you plug in any USB hardware make sure you grip the device solidly where it's meant to be gripped. Insert and remove the device perpendicularly (squarely) to the socket, with no left-and-right or up-and-down forces. Do not wiggle the device to insert or remove it. Straight in, straight out, and you'll avoid the most common kind of USB connection damage.

Luckily i fixed the problem myself earlier today. Some sort of power spike must have gone through my USB drives because the laptop cooling pad and mouse do not work on another computer, but devices that were not hooked up before the problem happened work. Ive bought a new mouse and it works perfectly fine now.
    All Your Base Are Belong To Us

/* this is my desktop, currently not in use.
    Windows XP
    ASRock AGP/PCIE Motherboard.
    Intel E4400 Processor, 2 GHz, Core2 Duo
    Geforce 7800 GS CO 256mb AGP
    Corsair 2gb DDR2 PC5400? 2 sticks
    ULTRA X2 750W Modular Power Supply

[C] 127 GB Drive, currently 22GB free. Main Windows
    [E] 127 GB Drive, currently 9GB Free. Backup Windows
    [F] 250 GB SATA Drive. Storage
    */

Good to hear you've got it working again. Thanks for posting back.

Thread Information