Q on Seagate's SeaTools for Windows

Thread: Q on Seagate's SeaTools for Windows

Q on Seagate's SeaTools for Windows

I downloaded SeaTools 1.1.1.0 for Windows a week ago. My drive's model # is ST3120026AS. Firmware rev. 3.18. All of the Basic Tests show "Test Unavailable" when I try to run them. What can I do to get the tests to run? I have asked at Seagate's forum but there is no answer.
    “If Ernest Hemingway was going to go big-game hunting in Africa, Hunter S. Thompson wanted to use a submachine gun to hunt wild boar in Big Sur, Calif. He was dangerous, like handling nitroglycerin, and he liked to keep it that way.”

Douglas Brinkley, executor of the Thompson estate

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Are you running them before windows starts? Boot up with the cd in the drive, test should run from there.

If it still won't run, did you make the bootable cd or are you just trying to run the download?

I'm trying to run SeaTools with XP already up and running. Are you saying that I should boot up with the XP CD in the drive? I don't have any kind of bootable SeaTools CD and when I ran all tests at a friend's house we had XP running and just clicked the ST icon, which is what I am doing. Only all of my tests show "Unavailable".
    “If Ernest Hemingway was going to go big-game hunting in Africa, Hunter S. Thompson wanted to use a submachine gun to hunt wild boar in Big Sur, Calif. He was dangerous, like handling nitroglycerin, and he liked to keep it that way.”

SeaTools for Windows Guide http://www.seagate.com/support/seato...or_Windows.pdf

SeaTools for DOS, what most of us prefer to use, and a guide to make the cd is there for those who do not have a floppy drive.
    http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...p?DocId=201271

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Thanks, but I had already read the guide via Help. I guess I'll try the DOS version but I still don't understand why the Windows version doesn't work.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    The reason for running before windows is that usually a drive tester/checker doesn't do a good job if that drive you're checking is being accessed by files on it.

And no, I wasn't talking about the xp cd. I assumed you were going to run this prior to windows booting.

As it states in the pdf. Anything accessing the hdd will cause problems. Why we use the dos check.

Thread Information