MAXTOR 160 ATA 100/133 reformat?

Thread: MAXTOR 160 ATA 100/133 reformat?

MAXTOR 160 ATA 100/133 reformat?

I have a Compaq 5011 that I want to add a MAXTOR 160 ATA 100/133 from a DELL 4300 P-4 computer The HDD is presently installed on the DELL 4300 computer that has a broken cmos battery clips to hold the battery,and I don't want any chance of loading up all the software,hardware,OS on the 4300, only to have battery problems and failure of crashing on the Dell.

When I powered up the 4300 Dell, a dos password prompt window was the first thing I saw. I don't know the password. I DO want to reformat this HDD before I install it into the Compaq.

Someone mentioned to me that I have to remove the jumpers on the motherboard to erase the password,then to reformat. I have tried to pull up the schematics/illustration of this DELL 4300 Motherboard to try to find these so called "jumpers" and I can not. I've used a magnifying glass and bright flashlights to help me find these, but to no avail.

Were they talking about the jumpers on the HDD itself? Can I reformat this HDD after I install it into the Compaq?

I was told that if I have the other compaq running Windows XP, I can not simply hook up the MAXTOR 160 ATA 100/133 to the Compaqs' 80 Ultra DMA and expect it to work,that first, I have to reformat the HD. Can't I do this when the computer recognizes the second HD as the Slave?

Thanks!

If you properly hook the drive up as a slave you can then format it.

Click on Start->Run and type: DISKMGMT.MSC
    You should be able to figure out which drive it is...Right click and select format.
    "They say "don't try this at home" so I'm coming over to your house to try it."

Quote Originally Posted by bozobytes View Post

Someone mentioned to me that I have to remove the jumpers on the motherboard to erase the password,then to reformat. I have tried to pull up the schematics/illustration of this DELL 4300 Motherboard to try to find these so called "jumpers" and I can not. I've used a magnifying glass and bright flashlights to help me find these, but to no avail.

Source: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ov.htm#1101668

Thread Information