[RESOLVED] No VGA input signal, monitor going to sleep - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] No VGA input signal, monitor going to sleep

While you are installing the battery, look carefully at the capacitors (small cylindrical components) on the motherboard. If any of them appear to be leaking or bulging, then it could be the motherboard. Also, check for heatsinks clogged with dust. You could also try removing and reseating the RAM memory modules.

the green things on the motherboard all look the same size to me and they don't look like they could be leaking and the small fan inside is rather dusty.I have a can of air here but is that a bad idea, to spray inside the tower? I tried reseating the RAM yesterday and no luck.
    Windows XP home edition,Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz, 256MB RAM

Make sure the power cord is disconnected and you can use a can of compressed air to blow the dist out of the components. Hold the fan blades so they don't spin. Blow the dist out of the power supply also. Finally, check the label on the power supply. If it says "Bestec", it is junk and needs to be replaced.

I think it is highly likely to be either the motherboard or the power supply. How confident to you feel about tackling major hardware projects?
    Nick.

it actually turned out to be both. Now my problem is I get getting this message about the chasis is opened or has been tampered with.Please check system.
    I took it back to the shop and he changed the settings and booted it back up twice and it was working like normal.I got it home and hooked it up and it is back acting crazy again.I am off to buy a brand new battery but I still need some help.Thanks in advance.

The chassis opened message is a setting in the BIOS, which you should find in the "PC Health" section, or similar. It should be obvious enough when you find it, just set it to Disabled.

When you say it is back acting crazy again, is this the same as before?
    Nick.

yes, after getting it back from the shop and taking it from my sisters house ( where the chasis message was showing up) to my house it started back with the no VGA signal message again. So I called the computer guy and told him what was going on and he told me to bring it back along with the monitor and he would see what was going on. So I took it back to him and he took the ram out and unplugged something( sorry I don't know what it was) and the green light down by the slots for the ram was on and he said that meant the system was good so it is still at the shop as he racks his brain trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Last time I talked to him he said it may be the proccessor because that was the only thing he didn't replace when I paid him the $244.00 for replacing the motherboard. Would I have been better off just dumping the system in the lake and buying another one?

Umm, the green light on the motherboard indicates that it is receiving Standby power and nothing else. I would have to question his knowledge if is is coming up with stuff like that Do not pay for a new CPU until you have some more comments from here. In my experience when processors fail (very rare), they fail completely - you never see this kind of intermittent problem that you are getting.

Has this guy checked or replaced the power supply yet? That's what my money would be on at the moment.
    Nick.

yes, the power supply was replaced along with the motherboard the first go around. He has been doing this for 14 years so I hope he will do me right. He said something to the effect that the power supply went out and locked up the hard drive. Something like that but yes the motherboard and power supply have both been replaced. I am glad you said not to pay for anything else until I get more comments here. Glad you guys are willing to help me out. He has already told me not to pay him anymore money because I have always done him right and either way he is going to get me back up and running. In the town I live in he is the only computer person I trust that won't take my money and run. With this system he has went out of his way and I always appreciate good honest computer help online and off...thats why I love Virtual Dr.

Let's move this thread over to Hardware, as it doesn't seem to be a Vista problem. You'll get plenty of good advice there.
    Nick.

i am having the exact same problem. same mobo and everything. Anyone have ANY ideas how to fix this? Thanks

had to take it to the shop, the motherboard was dead!

Melinda,
    I am experiencing exactly the same problem as your sister's HP. Did replacing the mother board finally solve it?
    Lee

Hi Lee,

Did you try any of the suggestions in this thread, such as clearing the CMOS? It's always best to check the simple things first before splashing out on a new mobo.
    Nick.

I have the same problem. What is the CMOS please.

Thread Information