USB device not recognized

Thread: USB device not recognized

USB device not recognized

It's the same Olympus VG-110 camera that I've owned for years but I continue to be plagued by this error. It has no driver.

It used to come up as an additional hard drive in Windows Explorer, then that stopped happening for reasons unknown. It was recognized by the USB but the drive letter could not be accessed. I had to use Zoon or Dropbox to get the pics off the camera. Now it isn't recognized at all.

I've tried different ports, I've tried rebooting, cold and warm, I've tried updating the USB driver but 'you already have latest.'

What next?

Thanks - rev

Have you tried setting the usb mode in camera to MTP or Storage before connecting to the computer?

Other than that, a $5 memory card reader is probably the easiest way to get you pictures.

A USB Memory card adapter is the easiest way to go and lots easier of the camera battery.

What I have IN EACH CAMERA CASE
    http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Mobile...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

>Have you tried setting the usb mode in camera to MTP or Storage
    No, how do you do that?

I have a card reader but I can't find it. Even so, it irks me that it went from an accessible disk to 'not recognized' for no apparent reason. A workaround gets me going for now but I'd really like a solution.

Windws has a really annoying tendency to get confused about what USB devices are connected to what USB port. Ideally, you should be able to plug any USB device into any USB port and have it recognized and usable, but Windows attempts to remember which device was connected to which port, and seems to have a limitation on the number of devices you can connect to a port, as well as the number of ports you can connect a device to. If you always connect the same device to the same port and don't connect more than 2 or 3 devices to any given port, you are usually OK. Mixing and matching half a dozen devices to 1 or 2 ports will most likely get you into trouble eventually.

If you plug that camera into a system with a clean install of windows that has never had any USB devices connected, it would probably work just fine.

Go into device manager and remove all USB items, and only then reboot.
    It should find new hardware and reinstall the USB drivers.

I have found what jdc2000 brought out to be fairly accurate for me too.

I was about to ask how to purge Windows' memory of devices... I'll post back.

I should have downloaded that first because while deleting USB ports I lost use of the mouse!

Thread Information