trouble w/ fresh install of XP...esent97.dll???

Thread: trouble w/ fresh install of XP...esent97.dll???

trouble w/ fresh install of XP...esent97.dll???

I've got an older laptop (maybe 2 1/2 years). It was working fine but I started having trouble starting up...for example...I'd get a blue screen and restart and it would run fine. Or maybe it would take two restarts, etc. I just figured XP was corrupted somehow and since I couldn't find the cd that came with the laptop I just bought a new copy of XP off of ebay and thought I'd be back in business in just a few minutes. But that isn't happening. The install freezes at the same place...it can't copy a file called "esent97.dll". If I skip that file then it'll stop on "gm.dls"...and then "infosoft.dll"...and then "jet500.dll" and then "main.cpl" (I stopped counting at this point). I suspected a bad cd from Microsoft so I attempted to install a known good cd...the very same cd that holds the copy of XP running on my desktop right now and I get the same problem. So it seems to me to be a problem with my laptop...but what? What kind of hardware problem would make you not be able to install esent97.dll? Since I get the same issue with two different copies of XP doesn't that point to a hardware problem? FWIW, this is an Averatec 4100 laptop with an AMD cpu. Any help would be appreciated.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    It could be your harddrive is bad. If you know which one is installed, you should test it with the manufacturer's diagnostic software.

Could easily be a IDE controller going out too.

Seen that happen 3 times.

Also, try testing the RAM, you can run either or, better still, both of these from a floppy, without needing to boot into Windows:

Memtest86

Windows Memory Diagnostic
    Nick.

I just ran the Windows memory diagnostic and fail every test. The diagnostic reports zero errors in one bank and around 13000 errors in the other one. I'm guessing that's bad? :-)

Yes it is, remove the bad stick and retest the good one. But use the other program.

That'll be the problem then, for sure. Bad memory is bar far and away the most common cause of computer hardware problems.

When you replace it, get a good brand - Corsair, Crucial, OCZ or Kingston are what I recommend.
    Nick.

Thanks...I appreciate all the help. I'll get some new ram and see what happens.

I got 1GB of Crucial RAM and nothing changed...it's still failing the memory tests. :-( Any other suggestions?

Did you check Crucial's memory configurator using your PC's make and model to verify the correct memory part number? It could also be the PC's memory controller that has a problem.

Yes, unfortunately, if it is still failing with known good RAM then it means the memory controller is bad, or there is a physical damage problem with the motherboard. Either way it means a new mobo unfortunately
    Nick.

Thread Information